Old seeds

• 15 Replies

Katejs

Old seeds
« on: January 16, 2012, 13:48 »
I've got some part-used packets of seeds, some out of date.  I was wondering whether is was worth still trying to germinate them.

Is it an 'all or nothing thing', ie they either germinate or not, but if they do germinate they go on to grow perfectly well?  Or might an old seed germinate and appear OK, but produce a weak/unproductive plant?

prakash_mib

Re: Old seeds
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 13:56 »
seeds have one thing to do. to grow and proliferate (spelling).
if they germinate they should be doing allright as long as they are properly kept/fed etc.
give them a try and dont waste them. they dont come cheap.. do they?  :)
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

stompy

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 14:01 »
Depending how many of each seed you have just do a test germination to see how viable they are.
If you get over 80% germination of each variety then they should be ok to use  ;)

savbo

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 14:13 »
Or for most things (parsnips and carrots being exceptions) sow on damp tissue and once sprouted you can pot them up...

that way you get to use even seed with lower than 50% viability

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 15:02 »
Useful link:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/general/seed-storage-life.php

I'm on year 7 of a packet of PSB that are well beyond their expiry date, still get near enough 100% germination.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

toxorebel

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 21:58 »
Last year some of my best tomatoes were Gardenperle grown from seeds with use by 2005!  The germination rate was poor but those that did grew on to be strong healthy plants and cropped really well.  So I say give it a go!

Katejs

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 19:46 »
Right - I will definitely give them a go.  I might be being a bit of an optimist with the June 2000 ones, but hey....

Thanks

Christine

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 08:11 »
But hey my half packet of khol rabi with a similar date did just fine last year - if stored right well luck be with you.  :D

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 06:00 »
Useful link:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/general/seed-storage-life.php

I'm on year 7 of a packet of PSB that are well beyond their expiry date, still get near enough 100% germination.

I'm amazed at the way PSB seems to thive too.

We bought a dozen plants in the spring last year, and they're still producing...

I'm tempted to try a year old packet of parsnip, but everyone here says it won't work...

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 09:40 »
A word of warning If it is a crop you love make sure you do your testing early enough to re-sow again with fresh seed. I had a chilli-less year one year by using old seed a little late.

At risk of being slated, i always try last years parsnip seed (kitchen paper method) and have got probably 20% germination the second year. Bought fresh seed last year and have most of the packet  to test again this year. Never bothered to try a third year.

As long as you are early enough - whats to loose?
Liv.

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 06:26 »
A word of warning If it is a crop you love make sure you do your testing early enough to re-sow again with fresh seed. I had a chilli-less year one year by using old seed a little late.

At risk of being slated, i always try last years parsnip seed (kitchen paper method) and have got probably 20% germination the second year. Bought fresh seed last year and have most of the packet  to test again this year. Never bothered to try a third year.

As long as you are early enough - whats to loose?

Wise advice Livvy. Broadly what we're thinking of doing, because although it's too early to plant parsnips at the moment, we may just steal a couple of weeks and see what happens.

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 20:24 »
If you remember  this thread, maybe you'd post your results.

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 07:17 »
If you remember  this thread, maybe you'd post your results.

I've saved in in 'Faves' Livvy - will do!

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 09:50 »
I have successfully grown 7 year old parsnip seed. I got given 10 packets of parsnip seeds one Christmas and although I like them that was waaaaay too many to plant in one season. However, the seed packets were unopened, and they have been stored in a cool dark place.

I got possibly up to 50% germination and all the seeds were sown onto damp paper (this is something I do in any case with parsnip to ensure only viable seeds are sown). I'm on year 8 of the same seeds.

I accept that this is probably unusual. however as they seem to still be doing ok I'll keep sowing them.

The oldest seed I grew was some I'd inherited from my grandad who passed away in 1988. It was a brown paper bag of pea seeds which I finally sowed in 2003. I've no idea how old the seed actually were as there was no date on the bag.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Lawrence

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 21:15 »
I just found a box full of seeds I packed when I moved to this house.
I moved in July 1992.
They have been in a oool cellar all that time, I am going to try them just to see what happens, after all if they don't grow, I haven't lost anything.
Best of luck with yours, but as others have said if it is a "must have" crop then don't risk going short, have a backup plan.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 21:18 by Lawrence »

xx
Any difference with courgette seeds & butternut squash seeds?!

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2009, 19:00
by Paul Plots
xx
seeds to sow

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 26, 2012, 10:44
by mumofstig
xx
Help with seeds please

Started by wellieboots on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 02, 2013, 20:24
by wellieboots
xx
seeds

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 05, 2017, 19:20
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 37 queries.