Draining outside taps

• 6 Replies

mrs bouquet

Draining outside taps
« on: January 03, 2019, 11:07 »
I have pushed the red lever to 'off'  .  It is about 8 inches from tap, which is under a semi-covered porch.
I turned the tap on to let gathered water out.   Ditto, the one in the greenhouse.   So the water supply is off, the taps are both turned on.    I hope I have done this right.    Should I now fit them with those tape insulating bags, and if so can you recommend what and where to buy.   
I have to get three, as I have to cover Mum's as well.   That is also drained down.
Regards,  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Draining outside taps
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 12:26 »
I've successfully used one with the foam insulation around it, like this one.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

madcat

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 14:48 »
Now you have emptied the tap, there is nothing to worry about from the red lever on.  You only need to fret if there is water in the system to freeze.  Is the pipework (which still has water) back into the system from the red lever inside and/or insulated? 
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 16:22 »
The on/off lever is outside, and the pipes outside are all lagged with styrene pipe tube stuff.   The pipe that carried the water to the greenhouse, is in the garage, thru wall into greenhouse.  these are lagged as well.
I am not really sure I can do much more.   But I will buy two tap covers and put them on s well.
Thanks for your interest and help.   Mrs Bouquet

cressrt

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 19:38 »
Always best to use "belt and braces"; with the lagging and wrap around the taps you should be OK!

muckyboots

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 19:32 »
Hi ,just another tip if you can get someone to fit drain tap or taps at the lowest points AFTER the stop tap.Then when you turn off, then open all taps including the drain taps on the system even if its not insulated it should not freeze and burst ,ps I'm a retired plumber it should not cost a lot, hope that helps.

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 18:19 »
 I lagged all the pipes into 2 greenhouses and 1 poly tunnel 2 outside taps we installed a sink outside with hot and cold water and fitted 2 service valves to the pipes  then   lagged those pipes never had any problems with the pipes but when the big freeze came although  we closed the 2 service vales drained down the pipes and laged the vaves and pipes we thought that's ok

but the ouside pipes to the sink outside  froze at the service valves and burst one valve that almost  flooded the new fitted kitchen so this time I disconnected the 2 pipes into the service valves this time and lagged the valves so fingers crossed i learnt my lesson last year you rearlly need to lag your pipes to keep them from freezing up as it could be very costly no to

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 46 queries.