She looks a bit odd

• 8 Replies

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
She looks a bit odd
« on: January 05, 2008, 15:25 »
Hi I have posted these Photos of Dora, the first 2 are her and the 3rd is of her sister.  She seems to have a very enlarged chest and its very squashy and soft, it doesn't feel like a normal full crop.  She is eating and laying ok, when I pick her up she is very calm and placid.  She seems to have some fluid sometimes from her beak when I hold her?  Is there something wrong or is it just my imagination? thanks
DORA 1

DORA 2

FLORA (HER SISTER)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
She looks a bit odd
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 16:10 »
If its soft and squidgy, she could have sour crop, as Auntie will tell you.  I think you can give them antibiotics, nad you can turn them upside down and gently press and see if she will regurgitate the grass or whatever in her crop that didn't digest.

If the crop is hard and large it could be impacted crop.
I'm sure there is a not on the poultry info that aunt Sally put on there about it.  Hope she's okay.  (the chicken that is, not Auntie!!! lol)

chelseablue

• Experienced Member
She looks a bit odd
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 16:11 »
hi

a few of ours looked like yours last week, we had given them some bread and the next day they looked just like yours did, we put it down to the bread, the following day they had gone back to normal and are all ok
pauline

babe

• elvis king of chooks
She looks a bit odd
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 16:17 »
aw bless her little cottons, looks like a little beer belly.

i have no idea what causes it, but i hope she's better soon.

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
She looks a bit odd
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 16:36 »
No its very soft so maybe sour crop, I will look for the post to see what to try for her.

Maybe it was my cake  :cry:
thanks
Sandra

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
She looks a bit odd
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 17:45 »
It's in the poultry information forum slowef

Scroll down to crop problems

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=4345

tallulah

She looks a bit odd
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 20:40 »
My Grandmother kept hens, and when one became crop bound, she decided to 'operate' - got my mother to hold the hen down, sliced open the skin, emptied the crop (crammed with grass cuttings) and sewed it back with a needle and cotton!  This was the 1930s - they were a hardy breed of folk back then.   Needless to say, the hen bounced back and lived to a ripe old age.  Wouldn't necessarily recommend it to anyone tho!

Fat Hen

She looks a bit odd
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 21:43 »
Hi Slowef my ex bat Rita had a similar condition.  She was on strong antibiotics due to a prolapse and I reckon that due to this she got SOURCROP.  Felt like a wate filled balloon.

I forcefed her live yoghurt and in a few days she was as right as rain.

She didn't really appreciate feeding yoghurt from an eye dropper and I needed help from my other half but some went in and I believe did the trick.  It's a matter of balancing the natural flora within her crop.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
She looks a bit odd
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 21:47 »
Quote from: "Fat Hen"
Hi Slowef my ex bat Rita had a similar condition.  She was on strong antibiotics due to a prolapse and I reckon that due to this she got SOURCROP.  Felt like a wate filled balloon.

I forcefed her live yoghurt and in a few days she was as right as rain.

She didn't really appreciate feeding yoghurt from an eye dropper and I needed help from my other half but some went in and I believe did the trick.  It's a matter of balancing the natural flora within her crop.

Sour crop is a fungal infection of the crop, so antibiotic treatment can cause an opportunistic infection.

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 29 queries.