A Few Odd Questions about some "common" veg.

• 52 Replies

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
Re: A Few Odd Questions about some "common" veg.
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2015, 20:15 »
lol love it add

my oh works on the usaf base so translates for me  :lol:

I believe we are the only country who eats parsnips too
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 20:16 by Madame Cholet »
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

LotuSeed

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 04:18 »
Cad, OMG the look on the little boys face at the end! I love how they blurred out the dog's face to protect his identity lol.

Madame- yeah, never had a parsnip before and don't personally know of anyone that has either. Lol.  I have however seen them for sale in the grocery store.
It's funny you mention the need for translations lol. Took me forever to figure out what runner bean is 😄

Also, never had a rutabaga either or kohlrabi or celeriac. I have tasted beets before, but haven't eaten them voluntarily since I was a kid. 😝

Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Growster...

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 06:39 »
There used to be a shortage of runner bean seeds in VA, Lotus, but I think that's changed now!

I only started growing kohlrabi and celeriac in the last couple of years, and while they're pretty good, this year we're only into growing more of the things we really like and also can freeze!

Now if I could grow grapes like they do in Barboursville..;0)

Madame Cholet

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 06:49 »
Rutabago is a swede here which is confusing enough but up north the call them turnips which is completely different :wacko:

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2015, 13:56 »

Good afternoon lotuseed,
 we (the memsahib and I) are hoping to come over the pond to the colonies to see the total solar eclipse from Hopkinsville in Kentucky in 2017.  What kind of local consumable delicacies shall we expect to 'enjoy'? :wub:

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Bohobumble

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Bucks allotment. Heavy clay. Hardiness zone 8a. Ave last frost 1st-10th Apr. First Frost 1st-10th Nov
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2015, 13:57 »
Are we really the only country to eat parsnip?!

LotuSeed, you're missing a treat if you've not tried honey roasted parsnips :) Are you able to source some seeds to try them out over there?

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2015, 14:03 »
Are we really the only country to eat parsnip?!

Nope. Had it several times in restaurants when I lived in Germany. Don't think it's as common as here though.

LotuSeed

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2015, 22:25 »
Well Growster, if you liked them that much, it's probably a good thing you can't as you'd likely be significantly less productive after enjoying the fruits of your labor 😜

Rutabago is a swede here which is confusing enough but up north the call them turnips which is completely different :wacko:

That is confusing. Here a turnip is a turnip and a swede is a rutabaga, not that it matters much as nobody really seems to eat either of them!

There weren't any parsnip seeds at the grocery store, but they did have actual parsnips. I didn't buy any though. I wouldn't know what to do with a parsnip if it cooked itself in front of me!

Kleftiwallah you'll probably see a lot of typical American fare like hamburgers and fries (they are absolutely not called chips lol, what you guys call "crisps" we call chips. There are also joe-joes which are thicker, wedge shaped fries usually with the skins still on. You'll also likely see a lot of latin cuisine or "Tex-Mex" (which aren't necessarily the same thing); things like fajitas, tacos, beans and rice etc. a lot will depend on the demographics of the area you're visiting. If there isn't a large Hispanic population you'll be less likely to find Latin food.  Kentucky is "country", not "Deep South" like Georgia or Mississippi but I think a fair amount of the cuisine is southern-comfort type. Grits of all kinds, fried chicken or fish (especially catfish), biscuits (not the sweet things you may be thinking of, those are called cookies, greens cooked with fat-back (usually collards or kale) and lots of barbecued meats. They take their barbecue pretty seriously!  You may also have the pleasure of running across chitterlings as well *cringes*.  Pudding here is not the same as British pudding, unless it's prefaced by the word bread or rice. Beans or green beans are what you refer to as French Climbing Beans, not runner beans. We just call 'em green beans. Oh almost forgot black-eyed peas-nothing like English peas at all. You'll probably not see a single broad bean, because nobody eats them and they're called fava beans anyway lol. Baked beans you may come across as well but they are brown, not green and have a texture similar to black eyed peas. If you forget any of that, a general rule is that we do everything the opposite of how you do it. We weren't joking around when wd pushed that tea overboard!

« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 01:56 by LotuSeed »

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2015, 23:02 »
We're a confusing little nation like that!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Always swedes (big orangey/yellow bulbour roots) in Cornwall - wouldn't dream of putting turnip in a paaaasssttyyy :D
Turnips are the cute lil' purple and white bulbous roots ;) :)

Not sure I could liv in the US without marmite and vaguely decent chocolate! :lol: :lol: :lol:

LotuSeed

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2015, 23:07 »
What is a pasty?

Madame Cholet

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2015, 23:13 »
I love the Moosewood cook books

Bohobumble

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Bucks allotment. Heavy clay. Hardiness zone 8a. Ave last frost 1st-10th Apr. First Frost 1st-10th Nov
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2015, 23:15 »
I'll let the Devonion member tell you all about pasties, but they are awesome, traditional or quite a few newer flavours - I choose the veggie versions myself these days so swede helps with the traditional flavour :)

Here is a pretty simple but fab recipe for parsnips: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/honey_roast_parsnips_80898

You wouldn't ordinarily have them on their own, they would be a side dish to a roast. Most definitely worth the effort, especially if they are home grown.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 10:49 by Bohobumble »

cadalot

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2015, 05:56 »
What is a pasty?

Ummmmm A real traditional one is like the kiss of an angel, but better DBG explain in depth

Growster...

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2015, 06:26 »
I rather liked the enormous pretzel with mustard, which we had in that cafe in the middle of The James River...

Not readily available here!

snowdrops

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2015, 07:10 »

I'm from oop North & a swede is a swede in Doncaster,we used to carve them for Halloween, that's why we is called ard  :lol:, have you tried carving a lantern from a swede, non of this namby  pamby pumpkin stuff for us. In fact it wasn't for Halloween it was for mischievous night we didn't do Halloween
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 40 queries.