Mint plant turning black?

• 9 Replies

kel28

Mint plant turning black?
« on: June 22, 2010, 19:06 »
Hi, I swear I saw a similar post on here but I can not find it so sorry to post the same sort of topic again.
But my mint plant is turning black it is potted in a sunny position and well watered but the leaves are turning black does anyone know why?
kem

oldcow

• Experienced Member
Re: Mint plant turning black?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 19:12 »
It happened to me twice, and potting up and more watering fixed it. Of course yours might have a different problem...

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 19:24 »
Mint is a drought plant and the watering is creating boggy conditions for it. Water only when you see it a bit droopy which might happen with potted plants versus ground plants. If you let this plant dry out for a while and it still doesn't recover, try potting it in some fresh soil, water once, and then only on occasion.

kel28

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 20:06 »
Thank you both I will re-pot 1st thing in the morning and let you know how it goes x

purplebean

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 20:24 »
I always thought it was just about impossible to kill mint, it always seems so rampant. You learn something every day

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 22:58 »
When you think about where you find mint growing, it will always be at the back of something  or somewhere where it's hot and dry, and the darned stuff is thriving. Which is why it's so popular in middle east cooking.

kel28

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 22:02 »
I thought mint was hard to kill too, but I seem to have a good nac of doing these things Im still on that very steep learning curve (climb) ha, but the mint has lived to see another day! I have re-potted and only dampened the new soil slightly and its already alot better Thank you x

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 22:06 »
When you think about where you find mint growing, it will always be at the back of something  or somewhere where it's hot and dry, and the darned stuff is thriving. Which is why it's so popular in middle east cooking.

And then there is Water mint which does not mind getting it`s feet wet. :D

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 22:15 »
I don't know why but I have never been successful with mint in pots.  they don't even do well when you plant them in pots and sink them in the ground like you are advised to do to contain the roots.  But put them straight in the ground and they romp away and become so invasive you wish you hadn't bothered.  If someone has the magic answer I would love to hear it! 

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 02:04 »
Have you tried using regular ground soil in the pot rather than potting mix? It's far better for the plant than the light fluff and you should get good results. I'd also bury the pot in the soil so it gets any rainfall rather than watering it.

xx
Why Are Cherries Turning Black?

Started by whitespirit66 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2010, 16:04
by Aunt Sally
xx
Broad bean leaves turning black?!

Started by Hampshire Hog on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 16:01
by gobs
xx
Anyone know where I can buy a Black Cherry tom plant?

Started by 666 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 03, 2009, 20:06
by 666
xx
Hundreds and Thousands Tomato Plant with Black Stem

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 21, 2011, 13:41
by arugula

Page created in 0.49 seconds with 35 queries.