rhubarb (again)

• 3 Replies

jjbull

rhubarb (again)
« on: February 16, 2009, 14:29 »
didnt want to hijack anyones thread so ive started another one, i split1 of my crowns thats at least 10 years old and bought 3 more to go with i planted up and alls good i covered them with glass when the weather got  a bit cold and when it got really bad a couple of weeks back i wrapped them up in hay im not going to do this every year but i wanted to give them a good start.
Ive just been to check on them and they are a good 6 inches growth come through and here is the dilemma, do you think what ive done is forced them which isnt my intention and if so is it that bad as i wouldnt be taking a crop this year and do you think i should take there little cold frames off them

Trillium

Re: rhubarb (again)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 15:44 »
That's a tough call because we don't know what sort of weather will follow. Rhubarb is basically a very tough plant, but when you've basically forced them as you have, you can't simply abandon their protection. To keep them growing this way will diminish the rest of this year's crop. So, I'd be inclined to remove all the hay and stuff and simply put protective row covers over them until you're sure the weather will not go to freezing, which should be much longer now. Then pull away the covers and leave them to it. The new roots should not be picked at all this year so they can put in better root growth. You'll have to decide on the divided roots whether or not to pick anything this year.

jjbull

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 23:03 »
b@gger well you live and learn ill take the hay out tomorrow and just keep them under there cold frames, and for future refernence is it just the buds that need protection from the frosts and once the leaves are out they are hardy, i wasnt going to harvest any at all this year to help them get established so thats not an issue

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 04:23 »
Basically, yes. Rhubarb, being as hardy as it is, will start its buds when it feels the temperatures are right so you've no need to baby them whatsoever once mature. By the time the leaves start to pop open you'll know that better weather is on the way. Plants are a very good way to tell the weather and I believe some books have been written about it but couldn't tell you any titles. I know that when lilacs start to show buds, it's time for something but darned if I remember what  :D
So for this year, give them a bit of overhead protection against frost for a while.

xx
rhubarb,,can you get orange rhubarb

Started by jolly jen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 14:17
by jolly jen
xx
Rhubarb

Started by DeborahC on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 24, 2009, 13:14
by Babstreefern
xx
rhubarb

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 05, 2012, 11:47
by mdjlucan
xx
Rhubarb

Started by Rosy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 31, 2008, 21:25
by Rosy

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 35 queries.