how can i tell if kitten mili is in season?

• 19 Replies

Oliveview

how can i tell if kitten mili is in season?
« on: March 04, 2012, 19:47 »
This afternoon she was making squeeking noises, her belly was close to the ground, her rear end up high and hee body kind of stretched out!!  She was 5 months on 25th Feb. The vets here won't spay her till she is 6 months.  We don't let her out and Miki our tom cat is 'done'  thank goodness!

Pamela

spottymint

Re: how can i tell if kitten mili is in season?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 20:05 »
From what I remember of our cat's, that's exactly what they start doing.

Calling for a mate, front end low, tail up with botty in the air !  ???

I remember it as a wailing/meow call. Long time ago, though.

Raven81

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 20:08 »
I had exactly the same with my Millie, she took a shine to me and started following me around being even more attentive than usual.  The vet wouldn't spay her and it seemed endless, with the vet saying she couldn't have kittens before this age, although she had already had one lot when we first rescued her - but thats another story!

This website seems quite useful:  http://www.cat-urine.net/cat_in_heat.html
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 21:49 »
She'll start screaming to go out, specially at night, a horrible noise.

The trouble is if they don't get pregnant they come into season every 2 or 3 weeks until they do. Then you have to get the vet to do a termination/spay.

I had the same thing in Greece with Daisycat poor thing, she was so little.....nature can be cruel :(

Oliveview

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 19:52 »

Mili is driving us mad, she is demanding anyone mate with her!!  We have had to shut her in the bathroom!! 
Tomorrow we speak to the vet.

Pamela

maxyboo

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 21:57 »
Poor Mili. My vet was the same. They would not castrate my male cat until exactly 6 months old. I'm sure if they had done it earlier he wouldn't be such a horror :) Another local vets will neuter at 3-4 months though so I don't know what the reason is behind it. A cat can definitely become pregnant by 6 months and as she is in heat you will have to keep a close eye on her. Good luck!

Oliveview

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 07:56 »
We have been keeping her inside anyway, she is desperate to be outside, even before coming into season. Our sons girlfriends cat got pregnant young, she was told her kitten would not come into season until she was about a year!
I hope the vet will do her today.  My cousins in France have 2 dogs, brothers, who would fight each other and any dog who went past, the vet refused to castrate them, he said to find a bigger dog to fight and that would cure them!! Instead they got a different vet, a lady, she was sensible, the dogs are fine now.
So fingers crossed for the vet today!

Pamela 

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 16:01 »
It may be a more difficult operation if the cat is only small so they should go on size rather than age.  Hope things turn out right for you today.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 16:23 »
If the cat is in season then it isn't going to get any bigger - it's body is saying it's full grown for reproduction, regardless of it's age.
so the time for the op is now - not when another lot of kittens are on the way  :ohmy:

NormandyMary

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 18:03 »
Ill never forget, many years ago, we acquired a beautiful kitten from my brother. We didnt know anything about her, she just turned up at my brother's house one day and they couldnt find her owner. Anyway, Penny (as we christened her) started rolling around on the front door mat, screeching and howling at the top of her voice. I started to examine her and found little lumps all over her body. Knowing that something had to be desperately wrong with her, I made an emergency appointment at the vets.
I explained her symptoms to the vet, and to my embarrassment, he said "Its nothing that a randy Tom won't cure". The lumps were shot pellets where someone had taken the gun to her. When the vet had her under to spey her, he took the shot out free of charge. Penny went on to live a long and very full life.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 18:26 »
My little foster Evie had kittens whilst her adult teeth were coming through so was still little more than a kitten herself (probably just 6 months old)! 4 months+ for females to come into season. A lot of vets won't spay until 6+ months which is silly, as ANHBUC says it should be based on size/weight not age and frankly if in seasons they should be willing to do it. Keep a close eye on her as they can become amazing escape artists when they want to find a mate  ;)

Oliveview

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 20:26 »
Last night we put Miki, our castrated tom, in the bathroom with Mili, she kept quiet!  As soon as she is out Thé bathroom she makes a dash for our son who is visiting and makes her mating call/ act for him, he is getting fed up with amorous advances from a cat  :lol:

Pamela

Oliveview

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 07:49 »
Thank goodness Mili has stopped making advances at anyone who moves!  She goes in next Wednesday for her operation. Both Mili and Miki are confined to the bathroom while building work is going on here, all we need is them to run off because they are scared of the cement mixer!

Pamela
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 07:51 by oliveview »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 13:38 »
I don't envy you the job of confining them.  Keep up the good work and roll on next week for you.   ;)

Oliveview

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 08:18 »
Today is the day Mili gets sorted  :D

Pamela

xx
Mili´s ears (our kitten)

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post June 10, 2012, 17:23
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Our kitten Mili is missing- FOUND

28 Replies
Last post May 20, 2012, 08:54
by ANHBUC
xx
Feisty Kitten Milly and bigger kitten Miki (photos with luck)

14 Replies
Last post November 08, 2011, 22:46
by freebirdy
xx
Mili´s first day outside

8 Replies
Last post March 24, 2012, 23:51
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 36 queries.