Carrots for winter

• 7 Replies

Rosehip

• My Blog
Carrots for winter
« on: June 19, 2013, 12:01 »
Has anyone grown carrots in the polytunnel for winter use,I was thinking of sowing some in July to use over winter.Any advice welcome  :D

snow white

Re: Carrots for winter
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 13:08 »
no experience but I am going to try as well. 

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 13:23 »
We have carrots in the tunnel, not huge crops to be honest. I am going to grow in a barrel and fleece as needed during the cold. My carrots in barrels are doing well right now so i may just keep sowing monthly and try it.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 13:56 »
I've done it 2 years, but outside in a bag in a sheltered spot. One year was good and we had baby carrots for Christmas dinner, but last year there was nothing, it was too cold and wet.  It didn't occur to me to bring them into the greenhouse, I think I had just given up by that time, but I might try that this year with a late sowing.
Anne

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 14:11 »
We grew some last year, sowing them under a stretch of debris netting, which kept them secure, and also free from carrot fly.

It worked pretty well, but we didn't get mounds of roots, just enough for the occasional feed for two of us from three short 8' rows.

The biggest was around 7" long, and the smallest was big thinning size! We're doing the same again this year.

Amilo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 15:16 »
I grow some in the greenhouse, at Christmas time I scatter sow them in a 2 x1 meter bed, in very light used tomato compost from last year  and and eat the thinning as the become big enough.  Started to crop them 6 weeks ago and now they are coming up around 5 inches. The light soil/compost allows them to push each other around for growing room and they come up without interfering with they neighbours.

Eblana

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 16:40 »
I sowed three short rows of them last August in the PT as a trial and got two nice dinners of finger sized roots in November plus enough nice sized carrots for the Christmas (oops are we allowed use that word?) dinner for 8 of us.  Was sorry I hadn't sown more as I had plenty of space.  This year I plan on succession sowing a couple of rows every two weeks from early July to end August as freshly pulled carrots felt like such a luxury during the winter months :D

Rosehip

• My Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 23:36 »
Thanks for all the replies,think I will sow 2 short rows in June,July and august as I will have the room,and see what happens.

xx
Carrots in a greenhouse?

Started by Goosegirl on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 17:52
by wapello
xx
Growing carrots in a greenhouse?

Started by Goosegirl on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post June 13, 2015, 11:52
by lettice
xx
Winter spinach?

Started by shokkyy on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post August 07, 2012, 18:19
by compostqueen
xx
Polytunnel in winter

Started by shokkyy on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

18 Replies
Last post October 12, 2011, 20:08
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 38 queries.