Aldi and speciality flours offer

• 14 Replies

madcat

Aldi and speciality flours offer
« on: August 25, 2016, 18:50 »
Round us, Aldi have Matthews specialty flours on offer, all at the same very good price of £1.59 a 1.5kg bag.    It is good flour - I usually use their cotswold mix flour mixed with white from aldi ( 1/3 to 2/3) for everyday loaves.

I picked up dark rye, french traditional (which makes excellent bagettes), and spelt flour.  They also had 00 flour for pasta and pizza flour ...
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Aldi and speciality flours offer
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 21:06 »
Mmmm, I was in our local Aldi yesterday, but nothing like that there.  I always look out for flour and bread mixes!

madcat

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 22:08 »
They are with the specials in ours - next to the tacos etc that they have in for the mexican special - not with the baking stuff.  I only found them because someone had abandoned a bag of 00 flour with the normal flour, and I wondered where it had come from.  A nice assistant pointed me in the right direction ....

chrissie B

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 22:41 »
Sounds good will have a look
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 09:13 »
They are with the specials in ours - next to the tacos etc that they have in for the mexican special - not with the baking stuff.  I only found them because someone had abandoned a bag of 00 flour with the normal flour, and I wondered where it had come from.  A nice assistant pointed me in the right direction ....

That's where the last of the Wright's bread mixes were.  I do always look in the specials bit.  Lots of taco's etc though!  :(

DanielCoffey

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 22:19 »
If you would like to order flour online, have a look at Shipton Mill. They charge £1.30 a kilo and have a static delivery charge regardless of the order size. They fit six of the 1kilo bags per box.

When I order, I get a 15kilo sack of Bakers White No.1 because it is British plus a 6-pack of 2x biodynamic wholemeal, 2x light rye and 2x light malthouse. The large sack gets split into four of those large Lakeland 9L bread boxes to keep the critters out. All the 1kg bags get stacked into another one.

lettice

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 09:23 »
Did buy some Shipton White French flour and the results were very poor.
Normally use both traditional strong white flour and French bread flour that I buy from French Markets in St Malo, when I visit a few times a year, for making baguettes.
Did email them with my results as I was disappointed and never had a reply.

Have been using Lidl Strong white flour and wholemeal flour recently for all our general bread baking at 75p 1.5kg.
Been producing great results, probably the best flour I've used for a long time.

Did have a look in my Aldi and found none of those speciality flours. They just had Strong/Wholemeal like Lidl at 75p for 1.5kg.
Are they just a one week special, have you seen them in there again?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 09:34 by lettice »

madcat

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 10:38 »
I'm surprised - I've been having a lot of fun with their French baguette flour.  But then I have never tried bringing French flour back; the space in the car being allocated to errr .. other items!  :)

It was a special, but it will probably come round again.  The cotswold mix and 8 grain are good too - I use them 30/70 with strong white (usually Aldi again!).

I like lidl flours too, but the days when I passed a lidl frequently are gone.  :-(  I also like their vacuum packed risotto rice. Good rice and much cheaper than the standard supermarkets.  Have you tried it?  I have to stock up on the rare occasions I go past one.   ::)

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 11:37 »
Last week Aldi did have some spelt and another flour in, but not what I wanted.  I also use mostly Aldi bread flour.  Had no problems with it unless I do something stupid like I did 2 days ago, but that's off topic! LOL

lettice

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 11:39 »
We could visit St Malo at least once a month, no car needed. But life just gets in the way.
St Malo is a quick walk to the old and new town from the ferry and our local ferry port is easy for us to get to.
Great for a cheap weekend out. Our local newspaper or ferry office have short trip deals with cabins both ways. Last one was £45 all in for two adults on foot with overnight cabin sailings and a whole day from 8am-9pm in France.
Two cheap evenings in the bar on the ferry and a live band or entertainment thrown in.
The chance to have a lunch and evening meal in a French restaurant and St Malo is spoilt for choice there.
Plenty of decent coffee breaks during the day and a few French lagers.
Great walks around the walls of the old town to walk it all off a few times during the day.

The markets are great there, cheap too and very friendly.
Flour does way you down a bit, a few in rucksack is all you can manage, along with quite a lot of other goodies we are always bringing back.
Make baguettes at least once a week and through the summer 2 to 3 times so always running out of that French Flour, so would have been great to try.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 11:45 by lettice »

chrissie B

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2016, 22:35 »
I was already to make a couple of baggettes the other day went all through the process and it wasent till i was checking the temp and time ( memory problems ) that i realised i had made baggettes out of my stottie bun recipe so i had to cut them up for bund and start again with the baggettes could have kicked myself .
chrissie b

madcat

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 08:58 »
 :D :D  Just one of life's senior moments!  No harm done ....

AnneB

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 10:20 »
I always buy the Cotswold speciality flours whenever they pop up as a special buy in Aldi, they are good value when they do.

I use the eight grain flour a lot.  My favourite recipe using it is from Ruby Tandoh's book "Crumb" for a Swedish Rye and Caraway bread.   I just substitute the eight grain flour for the mix of different flours in the recipe.

I was very chuffed on Saturday when I won the cup for the best exhibit of bread in the West Yorkshire Organic show using this flour and recipe.  First time I have entered bread, I usually stick to veg, fruit and preserves.

madcat

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2016, 15:17 »
I was very chuffed on Saturday when I won the cup for the best exhibit of bread in the West Yorkshire Organic show using this flour and recipe.  First time I have entered bread, I usually stick to veg, fruit and preserves.

:ohmy: :ohmy:  Respect!  Wow.

You should tell Matthews.  You might end up in their marketing materials, with a few bags of flour as a thank you!

snowdrops

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2016, 18:34 »
I always buy the Cotswold speciality flours whenever they pop up as a special buy in Aldi, they are good value when they do.

I use the eight grain flour a lot.  My favourite recipe using it is from Ruby Tandoh's book "Crumb" for a Swedish Rye and Caraway bread.   I just substitute the eight grain flour for the mix of different flours in the recipe.

Well done,that's some achievement.😊
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

smiley
It was on special offer

Started by Lardman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

35 Replies
Last post November 17, 2013, 20:53
by snowdrops
xx
Aldi vinegar 20 pence

Started by sarajane on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post September 28, 2012, 09:23
by sarajane

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 35 queries.