Growing brassicas different method

• 6 Replies

anchorman

Growing brassicas different method
« on: February 08, 2016, 20:13 »
Hi folks, a couple of years back I asked for help because I kept losing brassica seedlings when they had just started to form true leaves. They would just stop growing and shrivvel up. Last year I gave up after 4 attempts and bought seedlings from Aldi. The small plants came in a tiny propagator. The base was filled with a water based gel and the modules had the minimum amount of compost. Strong little plants produced the best Cauliflowers I ever grew.

This year Im trying a similar idea myself. I've sown 20 all year round seeds in a small module tray using Westlands J.I compost and vermiculite topping. I bought a packet of Gardman water gel that is supposed to be mixed in pots etc, with compost. Anyway, I put about a pint of water into a Tupperware box and mixed in just 2 teaspoons of the granuals. It formed a lovely gel!!

So I gently pushed the module tray into the gel and now I wait while nature does her work in a slightly heated propagator.

Whats the chances of this working if I carefully cool them down when they are through. No top watering ? Anyone else tried this to cure the mystery of brassicas seedlings dieing?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Growing brassicas different method
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 20:56 »
You'll have to let us know how you get on. Just one thing - brassicas don't usually need any heat to germinate.

anchorman

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 21:08 »
Thanks for the advice  Lesley, about no heat. Its all so confusing! The packet says 65 to 70 degrees f. Some mags say propagate, some say dont. I think I will try some no heat at all. All I want is some sprouts, and caulies. Not too much to ask is it? Others wonder what I'm fussing about and manage to grow an allotment-full, from seed. I grow all sorts of stuff that wins prizes, but the brassicas ......?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 05:25 »
That's too much heat - it'll lead to weak plants in next to no time.

I start mine in a frost free greenhouse where the temperature will drop as low as about 5oC.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 08:29 »
Perhaps they germinate better at higher temperatures, but then need lower ones to grow strong plants.

anchorman

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 14:57 »
Well, they're up, 14 out of 20 "snowball" caulies sown last sunday in JI no 1. The module was placed in a container of water gel and placed on a propergator, very gentle bottom heat only. Top removed as soon as they germinated last Wednesday. They are in a cool conservatory with good light but not direct sun. They look quite good, not leggy also they are dark green. Here's hoping.

anchorman

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 17:46 »
Well folks, the Cauliflowers-snowball-are going well with lush green seed leaves and the first signs of true leaves. Remember, I sowed these in little modules, sat in water gel. Due to my cold conservatory facing northwest, I got them going in a propagator with very gentle bottom heat. I turned the heat off when germination started, except one night this week when the outside temp dropped below freezing.

Due to bad light outside, and the way my conservatory faces I decided to try and stop the little plants from going leggy and weak searching for good daylight. I invested in a couple of Top Max LED grow light panels. £20 for one, £33 for two. I was a bit reluctant but took the risk on Amazon. These panels have 225 red and blue LED lights. The panels are about 320 mm square and only about 30mm thick. They are mains operated, so just plug in.
So far, i'm amazed at the the quality of the seedlings, strong and upright, about 6inches under the grow light panel. At only 15 watts power, there is no heat to speak of, but the baby plants are getting the correct growth promoting light they need.

So, in conclusion my brassica seedling seem so far to be the best i've ever grown. Water gel under the modules to prevent drying out and greatly reducing the risk of over watering, just a dribble of clean water to keep the top of the plugs moist. The adition of grow light panels to give the correct wave length of light on dull days. They are turned off at night......so fingers crossed!!

xx
what do you think of this method of growing?

Started by gardener247 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 22:07
by solway cropper
xx
NASH what is the no dig growing method?

Started by evie2 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 30, 2010, 16:03
by evie2
xx
Growing rhubarb by the 'government' method.

Started by Browser on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 27, 2008, 17:30
by hotterotter
question
Growing Brassicas

Started by bazh on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post February 25, 2009, 13:11
by Sadgit

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 30 queries.