The Rural Dream.

• 8 Replies

orchardlady

The Rural Dream.
« on: July 20, 2011, 13:22 »
Let me set the scene. A quiet Oxfordshire village nestled close to the Downs, green fields and friendly local folk. The village church clock (recently restored) chiming the hour and half hour and my field full of charming hens in the heart of said village, peace, tranquility and a rural dream...lovely....

Now you think that cleaning out the hen house is a bit of a chore and indeed it is but not toooo bad really, just pain physical work, you can allow you mind to wander and just get on with it in the peace of the countryside. Nope not a bit of it. My goodness the noise of protesting hens as I disturb them in their nest boxes and it doesn't let up either. The squawking the flapping the 'I'm extremely put out' shouting. Now as the process of cleaning out the interior of a hen house is mostly undertaken in the interior of a hen house my ears are ringing with the complaints. All done now but I can still hear the occasional protestations of insult coming from the hen house!

Orchardlady :)

bantam novice

Re: The Rural Dream.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 14:02 »
 :lol:
They certainly know how to speak their minds and who needs words! 
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 16:03 »
 :lol: :lol:

Helenaj

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 10:46 »
Don't forget the "you've put too many woodshavings in this nestbox which I will now just throw out" complaint as well!!!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 11:26 »
It must be better to hear hens, even when they're complaining to all and sundry, than to live near/in town and hear heavy traffic thundering by all the time ::)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 12:36 »
Well, your first paragraph sounds lovely OL!  :lol:

They make even more noise if you shut them out while you have a good clean out and a late layer decides she MUST get into that nest box!  ;)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 08:10 »
Well I've got to clean out my lot today and I have 3 broodies to sling out of the nestboxes so plug your ears everyone  :lol:

Springlands

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 08:28 »
Love the story OL. Last time my OH was bent over trying to clean out the coop - one of the hens climbed up his back trying to get back in.  :D :D

Elcie

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 21:03 »
What a great story, you paint a good picture!

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 40 queries.