Bay Tree Growth

• 7 Replies

teflon

• Experienced Member
Bay Tree Growth
« on: May 05, 2009, 23:30 »
I've got a bay tree growing in a 9" pot(its about 18"from soil to top of plant).As i use a lot of this in the kitchen i really want to get as many leaves as possible from this plant.
  Is there anything i should be doing to promote more growth?
  Cheers.
 Tel.

Salmo

Re: Bay Tree Growth
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 23:51 »
It will start to produce more new leaves soon. Give it some plant food such as tomato fertilizer.

teflon

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 00:08 »
Will repotting into a bigger pot help?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 00:09 »
Agree with Salmo, also consider potting it up into a bigger pot when its roots start to fill the existing pot.  Use John Innes No.3 compost as it's a permanent plant.

It'll grow quite large in the garden if you let it, though I assume from your post that's not an option or the way you choose to grow it.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 00:20 »
Basically, if you are going to leave it in the pot then dont overfeed it, if at all ( I feed mine once or twice a year in spring with a gen purp) ..water is fine, but again not too much. Remove any damaged leaves (which you can still use) and dont pick too much this year

Be very careful not to disturb roots if you de repot..they hate it...leave as big as a rootball as you can. Dont pot it into very nutrient rich soil/MP, as they hate that too. A sandy soil thats free draining suits them best.  If you do repot now dont be surprised if it sheds all its leaves before it bucks up.  Its maybe better waiting till the autumn, but Ive repotted at this time of year with hardly any ill effects.  Shade them from strong winds and careful of the frost for the first couple of years or so
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Erfurt

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 00:28 »
The above advice is good.

Remember Bay is a relatively slow growing beast so dont expect an abundance of foliage.

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 09:55 »
They had a question on bay trees on Gardener's Question Time last week - the general opinions seemed to be to make sure the compost was free-draining as they don't like being waterlogged, especially in Winter, but don't let it dry out completely.  A sheltered spot is best as they'll stand a bit of wind and a bit of cold but they don't like both at once.  That's not from my own experience, though!

teflon

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 21:30 »
Thanks to everyone.
 Cheers.
 Tel.

xx
Apple tree growth

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 25, 2008, 09:47
by londongardener
xx
At what stage of apple tree growth.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 12, 2011, 17:54
by Trillium
clip
White cotton like growth on apple tree

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 01, 2020, 19:40
by missmoneypenny
clip
Apple tree early growth query & pruning

Started by Joe Hicks on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 19, 2020, 09:51
by Ema

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 38 queries.