Do you think this will work ?

• 13 Replies

mrs bouquet

Do you think this will work ?
« on: November 16, 2018, 13:28 »
Outside my back door is a covered area of twin- wall polycarbonate.  It is a about 10ft deep by 4ft wide.
It has gone a bit green.  I have got the moss that falls off the roof down, and cleaned out the gutter.

This is my idea -  if I climb onto my garage roof, and from there tip some patio clear over the poly-roof, do you think when it rains, it will become squeaky clean.  I cannot access it any other way.
The products will run down the gutter and drain pipe into a soakaway, which is not near any planting.
I think I will wait though, until this splint is off my hand/wrist  :D
What do you think the chances are ?   Any other ideas will be welcome.   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

snow white

Re: Do you think this will work ?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 15:45 »
I would check first to see if it will damage the polycarbonate.  If it melts it then that is a very expensive mistake.
 ???

jaydig

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 16:22 »
Mrs B,  ........given that your balance isn't the best, I would be very worried for you if you got up onto the garage roof.  Don't you know a man with a ladder who could clean the polycarbonate for you?

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 17:25 »
Yes, I know you are both right, but trying to find a man with a ladder round here, is fairly impossible.  Too small a job maybe.
Do you remember my gorgeous 6ft 7in man who was going to replace my Velux window.  too good to be true -
Yes, he didn't turn up  :mad: :mad:  Considering he had asked for some up-front money - worrying - I hadn't given him any, of course.   I'll think again next spring.  Thanks, Mrs Bouquet

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 17:28 »
No you shouldn't be on the garage roof - I know it's only 8ft or so but still it's just not worth the risk.  Either find a way of spraying some algae remover from the floor, check it's not acid based or pay a window cleaner to clean it.

I clean Mother Lard's conservatory roof with a 20ft pole and a window cleaning attachment.

jezza

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 19:15 »
hello I use Algon to clean algae from stone paths at my local church its Acetic acid (vinegar) I mix 3pint in 2gallon of water in a high pressure (10psi) knapsack sprayer with a large droplet nozzle I will check tomorrow to see if its suitable for polycarbonate  the company who sold me it says its also controls blanket weed in ponds 1 FLOZ to 5 gallons of water applied by watering can   jezza

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 19:33 »
Mrs B, I think the replies you’ve had about you not going on the garage roof are spot on, doesn’t your daughter live next door? Have you asked her what she thinks about you going up there? Consider how much looking after you would need if something happened to you?
Take a look at wet & forget, I’m sure that can be sprayed on polycarbonate, & ve had good results with it on my patio, not cheap though, also you do need a good sprayer.
Could you spray it out of an upstairs window
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 19:35 »

mrs bouquet

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 21:24 »
Well my daughter next door would be much too busy !!
I think Somebody recommended Wet and Forget on here before, and It was for my black stones, it was very good, and I have a whole big container of it left.  Sadly I don't have any upstair windows in that area, so I shall carry on looking for somebody who can perhaps use it for me.  I also have one of those long pole things, I used it to drag the loose moss off.  I promise I won't be silly - you know what they say - there's no fool like an old fool  :D Mrs Bouquet

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 21:47 »
I think that was me Mrs B, but thought it was GG who I recommended it to

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 23:09 »
The links below might help to find a local tradesman who could do the job for you Mrs B.

We often have fliers through our letterbox from local people saying 'No job too small'.

https://www.ratedpeople.com/

https://www.checkatrade.com

jaydig

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 08:42 »
Mrs B, even if you can't find someone else to do the job for you, please don't attempt to do it yourself.  Your health is far more important that a little grubbiness, and if you fall you may find yourself unable to do even the simplest day to day things.   Wait and see - I'm sure that eventually someone will turn up and help you out.  If I lived nearer, I'd come and do it for you.  Just think - when it snows you won't be able to see it!

chrissie B

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2018, 09:23 »
Hubby got on bungalow roof to jet wash conservatory roof , i think it will depend on how sqfe your garage roof iis , could someone jet wash it for you , chemicals may do damage .

Chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

grinling

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2018, 19:46 »
Have you tried Age Uk, which have a help at home bit.
My neighbour is very independent at 94, and still potters in the garden. Her son, my other neighbour has taken out a few trees and heavy pruned others as she will try to do that herself!!
There is nothing wrong in getting extra help, I help a neighbour up the road with gardening heavy duty things as they can't due to health issues.

xx
Down to work

Started by RubyRed on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post January 11, 2019, 21:17
by RubyRed
xx
1ST day back to work

Started by LILLILEAF on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post August 29, 2018, 12:05
by Goosegirl
xx
Ladder work...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post June 03, 2019, 21:20
by Growster...
xx
It all makes work for the working man to do !!!!

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post October 28, 2019, 19:32
by wighty

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 53 queries.