My hybrid hen is broody ??

• 7 Replies

orionsquare

My hybrid hen is broody ??
« on: September 19, 2011, 22:38 »
I have a speckled rock hen which is supposed to be an egg machine. The farm she came from seems to think that hybrid hens are bred to produce eggs and are highly likely not to be broody....

I discovered today that my hybrid hen is broody! :blink:

Since Sunday, she stayed in the nest box all day and fluffs up her feathers at me when I approach her and she lets out a shrill call. At first I thought she was ill. This afternoon, she showed the same signs of not wanting to leave the nesting box. I lifted her out of the coop from the nest box, I found her sitting on 2 eggs one of which clearly isn't hers but the creme legbar's. When out of the box, she stood on the ground, her wings hanging down as if she is trying to protect some invisible chicks under her.  :D

I made her come out to eat her pellets and drink some water but it was not long before she scuttles back into the coop.

I think it's adorable but I do feel sorry for her as she is yearning for chicks! She got upset with me when I took the eggs she had been sitting on away!  :unsure:

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Re: My hybrid hen is broody ??
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 23:21 »
I have a speckled rock hen which is supposed to be an egg machine. The farm she came from seems to think that hybrid hens are bred to produce eggs and are highly likely not to be broody....

That's right!  This is definitely the way hybrid hens are 'designed' so they really aren't supposed to go broody.  But, as you've discovered, sometimes nature ignores all our best plans!

What are you going to do with her?  Will you give her some eggs to hatch, or break her broodiness?  If you want to discourage her from sitting, the sooner you do it the better.  Once she becomes very determined you might have a bit of a struggle on your hands.

Isn't nature wonderful?  :D

Helenaj

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 08:20 »
I've had two Speckledys and a Blackrock go broody on me and no amount of "you're not supposed to" made any difference! I managed to break two of them but one Speckledy would not break and after a couple of weeks I put Gold Brahma eggs under her which she duly hatched. One thing though - she made a terrible Mum and I ended up fostering her chicks under another broody (a Barnevelder) who made a terrific Mum.

You may need to consider that before putting eggs under her unless you have brooding facilities for the chicks as she may decide that motherhood is not for her as soon as they are hatched.

As Lindeggs says Nature's a wonderful thing!

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 15:35 »
My ex-free range hen went broody this spring, her chosen nest was a bush, and each time I lifted her out she made such a noise and then the other hen kept attacking her to get back to her nest!!This only lasted a week then she stopped. I thought it was lovely that she still had the natural instinct, she now has 3 young hens to look after! :)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 15:45 by sneezer »

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 18:30 »
One of my original hybrids went broody last summer.  I put some eggs under her and she wasn't the best mum ever - broke half the eggs before they hatched - but to be fair she is a big hefty girl.  She did hatch two chicks and wasn't too bad a mum but after 5 weeks she'd had enough and legged it back to the rest of the flock.

Interestingly she didn't go broody this year so she must have decided once was enough for her!
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

francais

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 22:38 »
I have 3 hybrids and 6 "pure-breeds" Can you guess which ones I have only ever had go broody on me? Yep! Hybrids! Infact the hybrid "mummy" hatched 5 of the pure-breeds (I only kept 2 though).

Toni

orionsquare

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 22:38 »
Thanks for the insight. The posts made me smile.

I checked my hybrid hen this evening and yep she's still broody all fluffed up and letting a shrill call when I approach her. She warmed 2 eggs nicely, so warm it felt almost like half-boiled eggs but I alas she was not happy when took them away from her (again).

She's been transferred to another hen house where I can keep an eye on her to check that she is eating and drinking ok.

storme37

• Experienced Member
  • tell em it wasnt me boyo
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 23:14 »
papys so grumpy  lol
1 Salmon Faverolle cross, 1 dorking cockerel, 2 orpingtons, 1 speckle rock, 1 legbar, 1 croad langshan,2 brown lohmann

xx
What kind of hybrid?

Started by 1st time veg grower on Chicken Chat

29 Replies
Last post May 06, 2010, 12:53
by Clarie
xx
guess the hybrid quiz !

Started by threeranger on Chicken Chat

11 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 10:49
by joyfull
xx
OMG broody hen poo

Started by gingerplant on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 18:25
by LittleRedHen
xx
Is she broody?

Started by Tigerwren on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 15:22
by Tigerwren

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 38 queries.