Do you own a speckledy?

• 7 Replies

sneezer

• Experienced Member
Do you own a speckledy?
« on: July 31, 2013, 16:01 »
Hi, I have been curious about the different characters of a breed, people often ask which hen you would recommend for being a good layer, cuddly etc so I thought I would start with a speckledy and if people could add their experiences that would be great!!
Mine is called Rosa and she is very noisy when she wants attention, or to be let out of the coop earlier than I do! She loves jumping on my shoulder if I stand still too long, she will always come and jump on my lap and snuggle down, if I am outside, she loves to get in to the house and explore , she definately has selective hearing, she loves sunbathing for hours on end, she lays nearly every day,but she has a darker side she can't stand pigeons flapping about, and will attack them, she is a lovely hen very chatty!!
If you have a speckledy please tell me about them.
Thanks
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 16:09 by sneezer »

themagicaltoad1

Re: Do you own a speckledy?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 19:19 »
I have 2 among my mixed lot. They are both good layers but are not at all friendly. The friendliness is possibly down to how they were reared, my 2 speckaldys came from a farm where there wasn't much human contact so I don't think they were ever picked up. My friendliest hen is a tiny bantam RIR we had from a chick. We call her the "handbag chicken" as she likes to be carried around and she'd fit in a handbag.

grinling

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 20:40 »
my Speckles is now 8 and lays thin shelled eggs. She does not like being handled, but when held will doze off whilst sitting on my hand. She is tolerant of others as she has gotten older and rarely pecks at Sprout, 18week cream legbar. She is also a little hard of hearing.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 21:19 »
I have one (Miranda), she is very friendly and lays almost every day. When I go out in the garden, she runs up to me and either perches on my shoe or gets under my feet until I pick her up. She craves attention from my children too. I have a feeling she believes she should live in the house with us and not in the coop with all those other chicken creatures! :lol: :lol:

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 15:59 »
Thank you every one for your replies, I hope mine lives to be a great age like yours grinling! I really  love hearing about their personalities, it makes me smile :)

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 17:23 »
I had a Speckledy that was a bit fay and went to the beat of her own drummer.  She was an excellent mother, though, hatching out three fertile eggs and raising those chicks perfectly!  She was my favourite hen of the original flock we had.
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 18:34 »
I had one when I got my original three. She was boss lady, called Lady G (not in a complimentary way :lol:) because she was so noisy and bossy. A very good layer and always first in the queue for titbits, though she couldn't beat my warren to worms, she was amazing,  Lady G would climb onto pots and railings and tell everyone she was there. We don't handle our chooks all the time, and when we did she waited patiently to be put down. Missed her and the other two like crazy when I had to re-home them.

barley

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 22:46 »
my speckled is called peggy

she is a bantam and is so sweet - very nice gentle temperament ,she comes running with wings outstretched when she sees you ( swear she wants to give you a  hug )  likes to get the best bits out of the corn before all the others

likes to lay her eggs in the shed and not in the nest boxes - one darling little chook in my opinion  ::)

here she is  :D

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 35 queries.