What I did in the Greenhouse or Polytunnel today

• 400 Replies

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: What I did in the Greenhouse or Polytunnel today
« Reply #300 on: June 26, 2015, 07:50 »
Thoroughly watered everything in sight. The 100s&1000s toms are growing really well, as are most of the others, but the smell of all the tomato flowers has me in a sneezing fit each time I go in the greenhouse. Most of the plants are now have about 3 trusses each. Some of them have forked, so aren't as tall.

Some of the plants were only supposed to be inside till the weather cheered up - I've kicked out the rhubarb (grown from the pass the parcel seeds) and also a very large kiwano which was attaching itself to anything it could find. The watermelons and kajari melons still have to go out, but there is currently no spare space for them...

Elm street

• Experienced Member
« Reply #301 on: June 28, 2015, 10:15 »
Planted two cucumber plants, from the nursery down the road, after the original ones I grew from seed failed!
Planted two Avalon melons, hope they do well  :)

Eblana

« Reply #302 on: June 29, 2015, 21:34 »
Finally got 18 Tom plants into the ground in the PT.  Hoping to get back up again tomorrow to get the rest of the toms and the Cucks in the ground.  I am really behind this year.

snowdrops

« Reply #303 on: June 29, 2015, 22:34 »
I finally got the last 8 toms tied up & 6 cucumbers planted after Mr S kindly unfastened the bench & I removed it. This must be the first year I have got them all in & tied in in a timely manner. Just got to tie the cucumbers in, I built a frame of canes for them last year so I need to look the canes out. It was very hot in there & it was gone 6:30
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Lardman

« Reply #304 on: July 02, 2015, 14:40 »
Watered  ::)

Lost the fight with the aphids and I've had to cut the peppers back and spray with a commercial product  :mad: Cukes are yellowing both fruit and leaves. I gave me some epsom salts a few days ago if they don't pick up I'm not keeping them limping along this year.

Tied the tomatoes up and side shooted. Lots growth but not many trusses this year and those that are there seem very short (4-6 fruit on the cherrys) . 1 tomato turning red on the sub-Arctic plenty 5 months to the day since they were sown  - 50-60 days my foot !

I now have 3 pepino fruit  :D Im managing to keep the aphids down on them by hand squishing for the time being, perhaps I will get a ripe one this year  :unsure:

Bit fed up with the bottom GH again.  :(

Up in the top GH I planted out some of the side shoots Id struck for emergencies and removed the comfrey pipe to give a little more space. The barrel outside has given a little over 2.4 gallons so far :ohmy: so the pipe was rather redundant.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #305 on: July 03, 2015, 07:42 »
I finally took down the Kent Blue and Golden Podded mangetout plants yesterday and picked off all the dried pea pods for my seed supply next year.

On the way to work, I had stopped at been and queued for compost and found a couple of plum tomato plants languishing on the reduced trolley.  Amongst the tragic and down right motley collection, these 2 were pretty much OK.  Watered them at work, then planted them up when I got home.  You could almost hear them sigh with relief to get out of their small pots and into a bucket of good moist compost  :)

surbie100

« Reply #306 on: July 03, 2015, 09:01 »
I have whitefly. They are steadfastly ignoring the yellow sticky cards I have left hanging for them...

Everything else is still merrily growing away, but I am regretting drenching some of the plants in comfrey water. Greenhouse stinks.

Lardman

« Reply #307 on: July 07, 2015, 16:32 »
Bottom GH

Im really struggling with aphids and white fly. I've had to put the peppers outside to knock the infestation back a bit.  Cukes are still looking very yellow despite epsom salts and a feeding, they're on 7 days notice I've already sown a few more to replace them.
Couple of the toms have reached the roof, as it's still early Im pinching those out and running low side shoots and a second cordon.
Pepinos are yellow a little too but largely on old leaves, none of the other flowers have set though  :(
Physallis plants are just getting on with life, plenty of flowers but so far there doesn't look to be any fruit.
The tray of crimson crush I started from side shoots all seem to have rooted - Im tempted to plant them outside where the garlic was as I can't use the bed for anything else.  :unsure:

Top GH
Watered, weeded out the chickweed and self set tomatoes. Tied up the plants I put out last week - wish Id have labelled them  ::)  The peppers up there are doing much better than the bottom GH but are still a little on the yellow side.

I was going to pull up the dwarf french beans until I realised there was nothing to replace them with yet.

chillimummy

« Reply #308 on: July 10, 2015, 16:56 »
First year with a greenhouse and it's packed full  :lol:
Fellow plot holder asked if I needed any tomatoes?
Really don't but he was going to throw them away!
Popped them into slightly bigger pots but today put them into their final big pots but they have to go outside the greenhouse.
Have 7 of them and they look really healthy. Glad I took them  :)
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

Lardman

« Reply #309 on: July 14, 2015, 14:43 »
Bottom GH.
Picked a few toms and a cuke. The first crimson crush is starting to turn colour too  :)
I fed them at the weekend with comfrey and it looks like someone has been in there with weedkiller again  :( so I gave them more epsom salts. I did put some in the comfrey but it hasn't seem to help.

Top GH.
Put out a few more of the side shoots but it's getting a little late now.
Removed the dwarf french beans - Not doing that again next year, and this time I mean it !
Watered and fed with the same comfrey as the bottom GH, but it doesn't seem to do any harm up here? The only difference I can see is the bottom GH is compost in pots and the top GH is border soil.  :unsure:  :wacko: Too rich?

surbie100

« Reply #310 on: July 14, 2015, 15:06 »
Sideshooted the tomatoes and removed some more of the lower leaves from some of the plants to get some light to the fruit as well as the peppers and aubergines. Tried my hand at pollinating some of the lipstick pepper flowers I've isolated, but they are at the back and the tomato plants are hard to get around without being absolutely covered in pollen, which makes me sneeze.

Picked 2 Tsygansky Baron peppers - lots more to come. They are a nice snack size, about 4-5 inches long, pointy and black rather than green.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #311 on: July 14, 2015, 15:08 »
fed them at the weekend with comfrey and it looks like someone has been in there with weedkiller again  :(
Lardy is the bottom greenhouse in an area that traps any cold at night  :unsure: (a frost pocket in winter)
so that they're getting extreme changes in temperature between day and night?

The 2 toms at the end of the plastic greenhouse (which has a permanently open window, unlike the glasshouse) are both curly now after a couple of cold nights/hot day combos. None of the other toms are curly.

Lardman

« Reply #312 on: July 14, 2015, 17:08 »
Lardy is the bottom greenhouse in an area that traps any cold at night  :unsure: (a frost pocket in winter)
so that they're getting extreme changes in temperature between day and night?

I've not reset the min/max for a while but it's not in a frost pocket, but does get a big temperature swing.

I think you may have bee right with the Mg problem as things have picked up since yesterday's foliar feed. Here's a quick picture though - those leaves will now wither and die. I've cut right back on the mix down to just 30ml in 6ltr which barely turns the water brown.  :wacko: The leaf was curled but no marks before I fed.
toms_problem_2015.jpg

Lardman

« Reply #313 on: August 20, 2015, 13:33 »
First signs of botrytis this week and after the war with the spidermite which I still can't get on top of, I'm calling it a day in the bottom greenhouse.   Maybe next year I'll keep ahead of the pests  :wub:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #314 on: August 20, 2015, 17:23 »
I binned a tomato plant cos it had leaves that were a bit suss, and now the next one to it has some dry grey/brown stalks but is still laden with toms, so I'm keeping a beady eye on it. I might try some lemon juice on it tomorrow as Medwyn says
http://www.medwynsofanglesey.co.uk/articles/285/overcoming_botrytis_in_tomatoes

xx
Polytunnel vs greenhouse.

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post November 23, 2012, 00:54
by John
xx
Greenhouse V Polytunnel?

Started by fallen angel on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

13 Replies
Last post February 21, 2016, 19:02
by BabbyAnn
xx
Polytunnel or Greenhouse

Started by ches on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2019, 08:38
by sunshineband
xx
Greenhouse or Polytunnel?

Started by Clarky86 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post August 31, 2017, 21:13
by grinling

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 57 queries.