Help please! - bottom heavy chick!!

• 5 Replies

treacleminer

Help please! - bottom heavy chick!!
« on: September 17, 2009, 11:05 »
Hi - I'm halfway through my first ever hatching.
No. 1 chick came out very quickly on day 20, no 2 fairly fast on day 21.  No.3 took a long time to hatch on day 21, get out of the shell by itself, so I left it in the incy to dry off overnight, this morning it didn't appear to have moved much or fluffed up ( I initially thought it had died) but when I took it out it moved. 
Situation now is 1 & 2 are in the brooder.  No 3 has fluffed up and is on top of the Aga.  I don't dare put it in the brooder with 1 & 2 who are pretty active (spending a fair amount of time investigating the top of the electric hen).
No 3 does not appear to be able to stand.  I've read the threads and links on Spraddle leg and I don't think that is the problem.  It's more that its so 'bottom heavy' that it can only scrabble around - occasionally rolling over on to its back.  Its taken a little water but I've not attempted to feed it yet.  Its currently on an old flannel to give it grip!
Any suggestions please would be welcomed.
no 4 & 5 are both taking a long time to hatch.  No 6 aint doin nuthin!

Thanks Janet

kitkat

• Experienced Member
Re: Help please! - bottom heavy chick!!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 11:25 »
It could be tired from a long hatch? I haven't much experience i'm afraid[i let my broodies do the work]. Could you seperate the brooder so it could go in there , have heat and see the others to spur it on? Perhaps someone else will suggest something, good luck
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

poppies

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 13:35 »
sounds like spraddled legs which is dislocated hips they seem bottom heavy because they cant get up onto their feet, I use an elastic band to bring the feet in line, make 2 loops and put its legs through making sure it is not too tight but tight enough, and it should be able to stand upright - it will take a while to get used to this

snowflake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 14:09 »
I am with Poppies, spayed legs, sooner you correct the legs the better. I use a bandaid ( plaster) just 1/4 inch width. the lint bit is perfect measures the distance between legs and the sticky plaster is folded  round the leg and back across the plaster. place between wrist and elbow. After 3 days take it off and see if chicks walks ok if not put a new one on.  Put the chick back with the others company will encourage it to eat and drink also bond with others.

treacleminer

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 14:16 »
Thanks - I'll have a go when my daughter gets home from school - I think I'll need an extra pair of hands!

no's 4 & 5 have hatched - 5 seems pretty lively but 4 is having a good rest!

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 15:21 »
Oops, good job other people have brains, and gave you advice, hope you get it done :)

xx
chick with mucky bottom

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 18:05
by bantam novice
lamp
new chick sticky bottom

Started by grandma berni on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 18, 2011, 20:36
by Casey76
xx
help! chick with protruding bottom

Started by Fannyann on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 23, 2008, 22:07
by Porffor
xx
Chick with crusty bottom!

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 11, 2009, 20:07
by Casey76

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 35 queries.