Newly adopted hen

• 4 Replies
Newly adopted hen
« on: July 26, 2014, 21:38 »
We adopted our first chicken, a golden laced wyandotte, as a pet, two weeks ago.  Have been sheltering her in our "catio" next to our house, but I have finally finished the coop and run for her and will be moving her today.

We were told she was passed the point of lay, but she has given us an egg daily for the past three days.  I will move her nesting box into the new coop and hopefully it won't throw her off too much.

We are going to get two pullets (about 12 weeks old) next weekend and will be feeding all the girls growth and lay mash.

Will post photos soon.

compostqueen

Re: Newly adopted hen
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 23:05 »
How eggsciting!!!!   :)  Yeah, don't leave her on her own as they don't like it and she'll be very unhappy.

Feed them layers pellets as they're less messy and they are just the same thing. I would read all the sticky threads on here in the Poultry Section as you need as much knowledge about their care as you can possibly get. This is a really good place for poultry advice, I really can recommend it  :)

splash101

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 14:20 »
I love wyandottes, they are lovely chickens.

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 06:08 »
Thanks for your comments, this is truly a wonderful site!  We are getting the pullets tomorrow afternoon.
"M'Lady" is a sweet girl and loves to be petted and held, although I have not let her go free range yet.  Letting her get used to the new coop and roost first.

I was told to get growth mash for the pullets because they need the protein so they will get big.  I'll have to read up on it some more.

Thanks again.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 07:57 »
you are correct, growers and layers are not the same as far as protein, calcium etc are concerned. If your growers pellets/mash do not contain an anti coccidiostat medication you should be ok with the 'old girl' eating some. In a couple of weeks you should be able to start mixing the growers with the layers if they are the breed of hens manufactured by the poultry trade for egg laying (warrens, isa browns, etc) but if they are a pure breed then keep them on growers for a few weeks more.
If your feed does have an anti cocci supplement then do not eat the eggs from your layer if she is also eating that food. Organic or the small holders ranges do not have an anti cocci supplement added which is what I use when raising young.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 40 queries.