Black plastic: Below as well as above?

• 10 Replies

Browseruk

Black plastic: Below as well as above?
« on: March 11, 2023, 22:21 »
Part 1:

One abiding memory of my father, is "helping" him dig spuds aged 7 to 10 or 11.

That memory is only blighted [sic], by the uder his breath mutterings of "f***ing slugs!". From memory, maybe 1/3 of the spuds we dug had slug damage. Slug pellets can deal with the surface movers; but aren't there some smaller * that move under ground and rarely come tot he surface?

Part 2:

black plastic sheet is often used to warn the soil pre-planting; and even slitted to allow the crop planted to grow through.

Question:

Would lining a (say) 300mm deep trench with (black) plastic, filling it with soil, planting the spud in that soil and the covering is with another layer of black plastic (with appropriately position slits) protect the crop from slugs?

Nobbie

Re: Black plastic: Below as well as above?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2023, 22:59 »
That wouldn’t work as the potatoes couldn’t get their roots down and may get waterlogged in heavy rain. I deal with it by growing 2nd earlies which I harvest relatively early and Desiree which seem quite resistant to slug damage. You could also try something like Nemaslug, but seems a bit expensive to use on potatoes.

Browseruk

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2023, 08:00 »
That wouldn’t work as the potatoes couldn’t get their roots down and may get waterlogged in heavy rain.

I guess I could go deeper 400mm, but 300mm down and room for 300mm earthing up is not so different from people growing spuds in 40l containers is it?

It was just a random thought late at night. I was thinking of it as a sort of giant grow bag :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 08:03 by Browseruk »

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2023, 08:55 »
I still think that if you use plastic at any depth you will still get waterlogging. You could try a porous plastic which will let water through but prevent any underground slugs getting to your spuds.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2023, 08:59 »
I think it will be very difficult to keep slugs out of what you are describing and all plants need drainage in their growing conditions.  I would investigate slug resistant potatoes as Nobbie suggests. 

I get a lot of slug damage if I grow some varieties of potato, but there are lots I can grow that have little to no slug damage.  What kind were you thinking about growing?  Kestrel is a 2nd early, but can be left to mature into an early main crop and is about as bomb proof as it gets in my soil.

Browseruk

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2023, 10:57 »
all plants need drainage in their growing conditions.
I guess the underlayer could be done with weed control fabric rather than plastic to ensure drainage; but it really was just a late night passing thought.

What kind were you thinking about growing?

I already bought some Casablanca earlies on the recommendation of a local friend who grows them.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 11:00 by Browseruk »

AnneB

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023, 19:05 »
I think it will be very difficult to keep slugs out of what you are describing and all plants need drainage in their growing conditions.  I would investigate slug resistant potatoes as Nobbie suggests. 

I get a lot of slug damage if I grow some varieties of potato, but there are lots I can grow that have little to no slug damage.  What kind were you thinking about growing?  Kestrel is a 2nd early, but can be left to mature into an early main crop and is about as bomb proof as it gets in my soil.

Another vote for Kestrel and Desiree.  Ambo is also fairly slug resistant.

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2023, 20:32 »
I think you might be overthinking this gardening lark Browseruk. You just have to accept that some you win & some you lose, but growing strong, healthy plants gives you a fighting chance & if that means as others have suggested choosing slug resistant varieties then that would be the best option. A bit like your other thread of netting your entire plot, it’s a good idea in principle but in reality not really feasible as you  need different types of netting for different crops I’ve found.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 20:54 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Browseruk

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2023, 01:51 »
I think you might be overthinking this gardening lark Browseruk.

Maybe; but there was little else I could do at the time with the ground covered in snow.

A bit like your other thread of netting your entire plot, it’s a good idea in principle but in reality not really feasible as you  need different types of netting for different crops I’ve found.

The materials for the bug cage arrive Saturday.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2023, 17:52 »
You could also try something like Nemaslug, but seems a bit expensive to use on potatoes.

We use nemaslug.  Works a treat with 2 applications.

Browseruk

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2023, 20:17 »
You could also try something like Nemaslug, but seems a bit expensive to use on potatoes.

It wouldn't just be potatoes. Brassicas, lettuce,and the rest; but you're right it is expensive and needs to be repeated every 6 weeks. Worse still each treatment is good for 40m2; but I have less than half of that and it only stays good for a maximum of 2 weeks in the fridge; so I'd effectively be throwing 2/3rds of each batch away.

I'll likely resort to slug pellets.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 02:13 by Browseruk »

xx
black plastic

Started by lizzie1982 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 28, 2010, 18:46
by lizzie1982
xx
Black Plastic

Started by Hey Jude on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 15, 2011, 14:48
by crh75
xx
Which veggie. . .and black plastic.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 01, 2013, 10:36
by Kleftiwallah
xx
black plastic and potatoes

Started by paul2004 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 11, 2008, 21:09
by gobs

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 50 queries.