Cross pollination question

• 6 Replies

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
« on: July 02, 2008, 13:26 »
My first year at serious growing and the flavour of the end product is so remarkably better than shop bought produce all my favourite foods will be homegrown next year.
I started last year with a few tomato plants that were given to me and fifteen strawberry plants that I bought. Not knowing a thing about anything I just left everything to do it's own thing and just watered when needed. The tomato plants cropped and I had a good supply of tomatoes. I took runners off the strawberry plants and have fifty five growing this year which have produced an abundance of soft sweet strawberries, most of which I have given away. Every person (and I am talking a lot of people) who have tried them, have started their comment on them with 'wow'.
I have learnt so much from this forum and all its genuine members. Next year I am going to grow different varieties of each veg. I have chosen four types of tomato I want to grow in my greenhouse and will get the seeds for planting next year. If the fruits are as nice as I expect them to be, I want to save the seeds for the year after. If all the plants are in the same greenhouse will they cross pollinate and the seeds not produce the same fruit as the mother plant?

Dave.

PS. I really must stop rambling on and get to the point.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failures your thing.
Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
Why do Blondes dye their roots black?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Cross pollination question
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 14:28 »
Quote from: "robbodaveuk"
If all the plants are in the same greenhouse will they cross pollinate and the seeds not produce the same fruit as the mother plant?

Dave.

PS. I really must stop rambling on and get to the point.

There - I think that's the point!

There is a chance, ableit a small one they could cross pollinate.

If it's a F1 hybrid - won't matter anyway as the seed won't produce true to the parent.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gobs

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 20:16 »
That's a common misconception about F1 seed, it does not produce to type , maybe, it is a lottery, but it can. 8)  About 50/50 so a biologist told.

You are better of with old fashioned free pollinated varieties though, for plenty of reasons and cross pollination in a gh environment is as little chance as can be, hence folks commonly save tom seeds. 8)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Martin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 22:09 »
Useful document on seedsaving (incl. tomatoes) from Real Seeds here.
Martin

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 22:57 »
I always grow my tomatoes in the polytunnel and greenhouse and always save my own seed, except when I swap with someone for different varieties, but they all come true, apart from the F1 hybrid Floridity, which looks the same as the original only bigger, but that doesn't worry me in the least!  As I get more tomato!!!!!

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 00:35 »
Thank you all for the replies and the seed saving leaflet which was really informative is now in my folder in my gardening file.
I am going to be a little ambitious and try for seven varieties that I like the sound of, some of which are heirloom.

Snowberry
White Queen
Paul robeson
Golden Gem F1
German Red Strawberry
Current red
Cherokee purple.

Dave.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 10:10 »
Munty says Paul Robeson are brill, and I've got some of them and some German reds to try for the first time this year, courtesy of the lovely Trillium!!!!

But I don't know any of the other varieties.

xx
Cross Pollination

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 07, 2013, 10:16
by pdblake
xx
Cross pollination

Started by Baz on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 24, 2007, 12:49
by Stevens706
xx
Tomatoes and cross pollination

Started by oldcow on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 17, 2010, 09:00
by Swing Swang
clip
Cross pollination of squash?

Started by gagen on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 15, 2020, 22:16
by gagen

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 38 queries.