Planting tomato seeds

• 10 Replies

ness

• Experienced Member
Planting tomato seeds
« on: December 15, 2007, 20:47 »
Hello
Could someone confirm something for me.  I read some where, or saw on a film or I might have dreamt it  :roll: that you can plant tomato seeds as early as boxing day?  Is this true?
Any help gratefully received.
Ness x

gobs

Planting tomato seeds
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 20:53 »
You  can sow any seed on any day at your peril, it's just the question of what you are going to achieve. I personally never ever have sown tomato seed on boxing day.

But then there is going to be a dozen or more guys who have different strong views on this, watch this space. :!:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Planting tomato seeds
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 21:00 »
I think the only people who would benefit from starting that early would be the show growers, you would need to be able to provide heat and light, I start mine in Feb which is IMHO probably too early. I tend to get leggy plants and not sure if they crop that early.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Planting tomato seeds
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 21:14 »
I go for mid Feb. To stop them going leggy I put aluminium foil behind & to the sides of the seed tray. (Easy enough to fold one piece). Boxing day is way too early IMHO, if you did this you would need a well heated greenhouse in mid winter. - Costly!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

ness

• Experienced Member
Planting tomato seeds
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 21:39 »
I usually leave mine til march/ april time but may try a tad earlier and go for feb.  The boxing day thing seemed to good to be true - plus I've got enough to do on Boxing day without thinking I should be planting seeds!
Thanks for replies
Nessx

ditchdigger

• Experienced Member
Planting tomato seeds
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 17:23 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
I think the only people who would benefit from starting that early would be the show growers, you would need to be able to provide heat and light, I start mine in Feb which is IMHO probably too early. I tend to get leggy plants and not sure if they crop that early.
    leggy plants can be a good thing. plant them a lot deeper and they'll produce a bigger root system.
If it wasn't for chemicals we'd be organic.

Trillium

Planting tomato seeds
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 21:04 »
I agree with the others even if you are in Devon.

Over here, in Canada, I start my tom seeds late March and they're ready for May planting out. Without proper light spectrums (from sunlight) they just don't do well until actual planting time.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Planting tomato seeds
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 22:47 »
Quote from: "ditchdigger"
    leggy plants can be a good thing. plant them a lot deeper and they'll produce a bigger root system.

Not entirely sure I would agree with you on that one Ditchdigger, leggy plants can be prone to weakness of the stem , personally I'd rather have a nice thick stubby stem for them to start on, but like you say plant them deep and they will soon root up.  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
Planting tomato seeds
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 06:56 »
Quote from: "ditchdigger"

Not entirely sure I would agree with you on that one Ditchdigger, leggy plants can be prone to weakness of the stem , personally I'd rather have a nice thick stubby stem for them to start on, but like you say plant them deep and they will soon root up.  :)

Whilst it grieves me to say so, I'd go with Richie on this. It's not just the roots that provide nutrients for the plant. To prevent leggyness (made up word) - don't forget the aluminium foil trick.

Rob the rake

Planting tomato seeds
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 11:57 »
I thought legginess was a real word, DD. I also subscribe to the 'if they're leggy plant them deep' school of thinking, and find that they still make strong plants. However, the tin foil trick makes sense, and I'll be using it this year, thanks.
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

DD.

• Global Moderator
Planting tomato seeds
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 15:51 »
Quote from: "Rob the rake"
I thought legginess was a real word, DD. I also subscribe to the 'if they're leggy plant them deep' school of thinking, and find that they still make strong plants. However, the tin foil trick makes sense, and I'll be using it this year, thanks.

I grow 'em sturdy & plant 'em deep. Best of both worlds.

xx
Tomato planting

Started by GaryPaula on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 28, 2011, 10:15
by GaryPaula
xx
Tomato pruning before planting out?

Started by Joe Hicks on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 13, 2020, 10:22
by Joe Hicks
xx
What seeds should I be planting around now (mid Oct)

Started by tinyallotment on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post October 25, 2014, 08:02
by Kristen
xx
Planting seeds

Started by Pete C on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 09, 2008, 22:05
by Pete C

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 39 queries.