June Forecast

• 19 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
June Forecast
« on: May 25, 2013, 10:10 »
The long-term forecast for my area now seems to be saying temps will stay on the cool side throughout the month of June, so I guess the tender stuff's going to have to go out, even if it isn't staying over 10 degrees. If they stay in pots that long they won't have time to crop anyway, so it's a kind of a rock and a hard place scenario.

m1ckz

Re: June Forecast
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 11:49 »
yes true,,,just put out some tomato and  gorgi plants in the allotment  its  it or bust now  :mad:

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 12:00 »
I'm going to start hardening off all the squashes and courgettes and outdoor cukes from today.
They will have to go out as I need the greenhouse space back! ::)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 13:14 »
Mine are all out, we have stuff coming out of our ears at home, plt neighbour gave us 24 Brussel plants, another one gave us some harlequin squash seeds she had had soaking in seaweed extract they are now in pots.

Oh my where on earth will I put it all, the two plots are full........... Dad get digging yours. I need the space.  :wacko:

salmonking

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 21:26 »
my stuffs been out 2 weeks with no problem.

barley

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 21:33 »
most of my stuffs out but nothing has grown a jot

think it might be another lean year again  :wub:

barley

frost
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 21:44 »
Flaming June in a couple of days !!!!!    :mellow:

and tonight in rural monmouthshire we are forcast a frost   :ohmy:

Tomatoes in poly tunnel tucked up with duvets
heater on frost setting in greenhouse
plastic bubble wrap round runner beans
fleece over everthing

ahhhhhhhh please bring us our summer  :blink:

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 22:10 »
Mr Max declared that if there is 'air frost' next week and therefore running into June then that only gives about 12 - 14 weeks (ish) until the first frosts appear again  :blink:.  I must point out that he has no interest in veg growing AT ALL so does not know what horror he has started :ohmy:.  He may have second thoughts when he finds the cucumber plants (miniature whites) that I have put into their final 40cm pots and put on our bedroom window sills.  I've been taking them in and out for a few days now and have become obsessed with tending to their every need.  I think that everything has to start going out in the next week or so otherwise growing becomes a chore rather than the wonderful pleasure it should be.  Oh! I should point out that though Mr Max isn't interested in growing veg, he will on request, build sheds, munty bean frames, compost bins, go skip diving etc.  Just for the record (again).

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 22:15 »
I did think about getting a smallish polytunnel for the garden this year - but I think I'll get it sorted for next year., just to grow the ordinary stuff in - I already have 2 small greenhouses for the toms and peppers - but even they are struggling this year.

This weather is getting stupid now  :(

It's warmer in Moscow, than it is here.
http://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:00000.1.27612
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 22:19 by mumofstig »

barley

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 22:30 »
Moscow here I come !!!!

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 23:49 »
Mr Max declared that if there is 'air frost' next week and therefore running into June then that only gives about 12 - 14 weeks (ish) until the first frosts appear again  :blink:.  I must point out that he has no interest in veg growing AT ALL so does not know what horror he has started :ohmy:.  He may have second thoughts when he finds the cucumber plants (miniature whites) that I have put into their final 40cm pots and put on our bedroom window sills.  I've been taking them in and out for a few days now and have become obsessed with tending to their every need.  I think that everything has to start going out in the next week or so otherwise growing becomes a chore rather than the wonderful pleasure it should be.  Oh! I should point out that though Mr Max isn't interested in growing veg, he will on request, build sheds, munty bean frames, compost bins, go skip diving etc.  Just for the record (again).

I bought a small polytunnel last year and it got blown into the plot next door in a crumpled mess of broken metal rods and ripped cover :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
I was very sad but I have great soli there now as I'd been sieving in the polytunnel.

Al I can say is anchor it down super well! And mine is a fairly sheltered plot!!! ::)

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 00:09 »
Ah DBG that is so disheartening :(.  Its the cold wind that is stuffing everything up here, I don't know about anywhere else (though I can guess).  I bought some toms seeds from the real seed co that are supposed to do well in colder (not frost) conditions.  The cold wind on friday turned lovely sturdy plants into sad, wind blown saggy, raggy things.  I've left them in and have given them a good talking to in the hope that thay may perk up.  And planted more in the sunshine today, obviously!

al78

Re: frost
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 00:42 »
I count myself fortunate in that the veg I don't like happens to be the frost-tender ones, so I don't have this problem.

I do like French beans but they are still indoors and I haven't got round to sowing any direct outdoors yet.

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 01:02 »
It's all sad - british weather, my polytunnel, getting older... :(

Need to move to Italy - NOW! :lol:

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 01:22 »
Oh dear DBG and there is me trying my bestest to work out a way of moving from Brizzle to down your way.   Actually, North Cornwall would be my fav place to live in the whole wide world.  Though to be fair if the offer to move to Italy was there......

xx
The June drop is a June avalanche...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 16, 2018, 20:08
by Growster...
xx
Forecast of 4C for tonight for the SE

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 26, 2016, 07:46
by mumofstig
xx
Frost forecast

Started by engineer on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post April 19, 2017, 09:04
by victoria park
xx
check your forecast

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2009, 08:47
by Howard

Page created in 0.687 seconds with 38 queries.