To worm or not to worm

• 8 Replies

Stewart P

To worm or not to worm
« on: November 14, 2015, 19:15 »
Today we brought home 4 POL Sussex hens from what appeared to be a very reputable supplier.  They have been "fully vaccinated", and look in a very healthy condition.  I wormed our previous hens (one quartet of ex-batts and subsequently a brace each of POL Bluebells and Speckledies) by flubenvet 6-monthly and verm-X monthly in between.  However these previous regimes were a bit random with respect to when we started the flubenvet.

I'd be grateful for advice on when to start worming the new chicks (they are about 20 weeks of age).

Thanks

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: To worm or not to worm
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 08:24 »
They are old enough to worm now. 

Are you planning to mix the new ones into your existing flock?   I would get both lots wormed and then have a single 6 month programme for Flubenvet for the everyone, if possible.  Even if they only share the garden space when free ranging, you want everyone clear of worms together, so they are not passing them back and forth.

If the older birds were wormed less than 6 months ago, it won't hurt them to have Flubenvet again  :)

Stewart P

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 08:54 »
Thanks New Shoot for replying.

Sadly there is no existing flock thanks to a recent fox attack so the newbies are on their own but your first statement that they are old enough to worm now is the answer I was looking for.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 15:56 »
Sorry to hear you lost all your old flock Stewart  :(

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 13:16 »
I guess its possibly out of luck but I've had chickens for nearly 5 years and other than spray one of them for a scaly leg I have never used any treatments on any of them. I figured I would treat them if necessary and once they did get worms or something like that then i would introduce prevention treatments.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 13:21 »
Prevention treatments won't clear an existing worm problem unfortunately  :(

I use Flubenvet every 6 months as this does clear everything, including gape worm.  Unless you are doing checks on their poop for worm eggs, you don't know whether they have them or not.  Its a pretty safe bet that they do.  All domestic animals pick them up and need worming  :)

shellroberts

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 16:35 »
Now I'm most likely wrong but I thought I read somewhere that you need to worm every 3 months?! I used ready mixed Flubenvet in December.
Just so I know, is it every 3 or 6 months? thank you :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 17:05 »
You are not wrong, both answers can be right, but it depends on your circumstances.  I have a large deep litter fixed run and a smaller movable set up.  I also use dried garlic granules (the type used for horses) in the feed as a preventative and I find worming every 6 months is fine.

If you have a smaller fixed run where the ground gets very heavy use and you don't use anything else, worming every 3 months with Flubenvet is a better regime for you  :)

Beekissed

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 06:09 »
I guess its possibly out of luck but I've had chickens for nearly 5 years and other than spray one of them for a scaly leg I have never used any treatments on any of them. I figured I would treat them if necessary and once they did get worms or something like that then i would introduce prevention treatments.

I've had chickens for 40 yrs and have never wormed one.  Prevention starts from the day they arrive and prevents the need to ever have to worm.  My prevention methods work, so no need to ever worm. 

xx
Big Worm

Started by Fat Hen on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 19, 2008, 23:36
by Aunt Sally
xx
when to worm?

Started by leddenton on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2011, 14:17
by bantam novice
xx
should I re worm ?

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 17, 2011, 21:04
by SoniaBA
xx
how often should you worm?

Started by jobson336 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 30, 2010, 19:31
by jobson336

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 37 queries.