F***** foxes

• 38 Replies

Foxy

F***** foxes
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2008, 17:56 »
Snoozer, so sorry what a terrible thing to have happened. Dont give up on chook keeping will you! :cry:

Fat Hen

F***** foxes
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2008, 19:43 »
Babe what air rifle have you got :?:   Quite fancy one myself.

Used to have what are know as a garden gun (9mm shotgun).  They were brill.  Great for control rats, foxes & the odd rabbit.  Without danger of a more powerful shotguns pellets straying and blasting other things (eg neighbours).

But let my licence slip yrs ago and can't be bothered renewing (not sure what hoops you have to jump thro' know).

For anyone else keeping chucks and feel like getting a shotgun licence could recomend one for the old foxy.

babe

• elvis king of chooks
F***** foxes
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2008, 20:05 »
Quote from: "Fat Hen"
Babe what air rifle have you got :?:   Quite fancy one myself.

Used to have what are know as a garden gun (9mm shotgun).  They were brill.  Great for control rats, foxes & the odd rabbit.  Without danger of a more powerful shotguns pellets straying and blasting other things (eg neighbours).

But let my licence slip yrs ago and can't be bothered renewing (not sure what hoops you have to jump thro' know).

For anyone else keeping chucks and feel like getting a shotgun licence could recomend one for the old foxy.

you dont need a shotgun licence, you need a firearms licence for a decent air rifle. you can get a bog standard air rifle with no need for any licence. but would probably only be powerful enough to kill bunnies.

as for a shotgun, in the back yard????  that could be .... interesting :shock:

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
F***** foxes
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2008, 20:20 »
the old garden guns are pretty much obsolete now. I'd love one for pest control, again not much use against a fox, but it would scare the * off.

next up would be a .410 shotgun, but again a bit overpowered for the backyard, but very handy.

I have an old chinese import air rifle, with a nth hand telescopic sight. Not full legal power but good enough for pests
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

Foxy

F***** foxes
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2008, 20:47 »
How come the rats know that you are training an air rifle on them????? :shock:  :shock:

jack russell

F***** foxes
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2008, 20:48 »
Quote from: "babe"
Quote from: "jack russell"
Quote from: "babe"

an air rifle works wonders :wink:

how does an air rifle work babe :roll:  If you shoot a fox with an air rifle even at close range you will not kill it :evil: so is wounding a fox the right thing to do because it is killing chickens to survive :roll:

Shooting a fox with an air rifle is animal cruelty  :evil: simple as that

depends what type of air rifle you use, some are more powerful than you'd think. that's why some are licensed and some aren't

* Yes I know very well about what's legal and not about air rifles, for you to say " an air rifle works wonders" is not saying oh but you must have a licence for anything over 12ft lbs in power.  It says any air rifle can be shot at a fox!

and as for cruelty jack, you should have seen my garden, still in daylight when the fox killed 7 chickens and two ducks. buttercup my exhibition alyesbury had its whole head torn off. so please DONT tell me whats right or wrong. what if a child came home to that in the garden.. it was total carnage.

or what about the time the fox got Elvis around the neck, and he just stood in the corner for days with his down looking so sad.

* Ok that is a shame i have poultry also  but DONT SHOUT at me as if you had of payed more attention to your security then the fox would not have got in :roll:

there's not much that will cause me to get narky... but this is one.!!

* Me either,  as it has been said the fox is going to get its meal one way or another if it can't get your birds it will move on

if i'd have got hold of the fox that day, i would have happily ripped it limb from limb.

* I dont doubt that :roll:

and as for the hunting ban.... unless you've been on a hunt... you don't know what the h*ll you're talking about.

*  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: When did i mention hunting bans............  I was a flippin gamekeeper  :lol:  :lol:

its bl**dy townies sticking the snouts in what they dont understand.

yeah right  :roll:  :lol:  where there is live stock there will always be dead stock.  you cant give them all woolly jumpers and tell them bedtime stories :roll:

* While it is nice to have chooks and ducks as pets if you are going to keep them then you must put 100% effort into their security   Otherwise they are livestock on yer garden and you shouldn't get so upset when the inevitable happens.
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
F***** foxes
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2008, 21:16 »
come on now people, this is getting a bit overheated. Ive no doubt feelings are high at the moment, but remember that however well worded a post on here is, its not always easy to see exactly what the other side mean or intended to say. Im sure JR had no intention of increasing your upset

maybe now is a good time to sit back, reflect, and calm down a bit, on all sides

we often rely on each other on here when these things happen for support, so lets not fall out when feelings are running high

Stree

F***** foxes
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2008, 22:15 »
It does none of us any harm. probably only good to see things from anothers perspective, and yes there is then room for all and we can learn nad hopefully good will come of it.

Head above the trench here. I agree with Jack Russel about air rifles being cruel to foxes..............Just moved last year to rural location and inherited chickens and geese. Local pub  conversation with a farmhand / gamekeeper informed me that an air rifle will only wound a fox and a fox is then likely to bleed to death.......Not a humane solution. Fox is killing to survive. and we are killing it to ensure a status quo that gives us pleasure, Totally different angles of perception.

And Same fellow informs me that a fox will kill more than can be eaten because the noise of the others squawking when he /she makes a kill and this is threatening to bring attention .....
I have an air rifle, I use it for rats and it will dispatch a rat easily and thats a rifle at the legal limit of 12 foot pounds. above that you need a firearms licence. and even then the kinetic energy of a 22 pellet will not be enough to kill a fox. more likely pass straight through it and it will then bleed to death and die slowly.... The fox does not deserve punishing just for being a fox. We have to deter the fox from considering our flock as an opportunity..
Babe mentions air rifles  that are more powerful and this is probably a pressurised canister or divers tank fed  type some of which are  with rapid multishot and these are very powerful and quite capable of killing even a human being but as said above the penetration is good but there is insufficient kinetic energy to give an outright kill in all but the most exceptional circumstances.. A higher velocity bullet delivers a hydrostatic shock and that is what kills, not the puncture wound....... a shot through the eye or ear a  or temporal lobe might do it, or might not
Saying that if I saw a fox in amongst my birds and the rifle was handy I would shoot it, even though it would essentially be a cruel thing to do. It might be enough to deter it and get rid of it for the time being..But thats all, and more an emotional reaction than a practical one..
I intend to built mesh fencing to about 7 feet high all around where my birds run, and ensure that the bottom is firmly fixed and not easy to dig under..Until that is done I am running with lady Luck. and I would hate to lose any of the birds I have.  Its hard to believe what characters they are and what individuals they prove to be and how attached you get to them and its perfectly understandable that people get in a blind rage when a fox has done its natures work and fed itself and its family and is then doomed to die for its hunger..... If a fox could intellectualise it would probably have a very good argument as to why its way of eating chickens is far less cruel overall than the way humankind treats  and thinks of chickens... A fox does not dictate a life of misery for its foodstuff from birth, as a great majority of poultry endure, merely brief trauma at the moment of the kill.

Apart from the fencing I am going to get a dog, one that will live outside and be a companion and protector to the birds..
I doubt there is ever a foolproof way of keeping poultry totally free from the predations of a fox but the best we can do is to deter them from taking our own stock, and inevitably that means they will take from someone who has not yet got round to establishing that same level of deterrence...
Nature red in tooth and claw......Bring joy or sorrow depending which end of it you happen to be on at any particular time.....

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
F***** foxes
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2008, 22:20 »
I think both sides have had a good say on this subject and I think we now have reached a point where the debate can stop on a very balanced note.

To all the poultry keepers - the battle against the fox continues in many ways.

We must all do our best to protect the animals in our charge  :D

xx
foxes

Started by Henny on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post February 22, 2008, 09:14
by Viv
xx
foxes

Started by grumpydad on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 09:09
by Foxy
xx
B****Y FOXES

Started by conventgirl on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post February 29, 2008, 10:21
by conventgirl
xx
Foxes

Started by mary on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 18, 2007, 14:31
by muntjac

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 39 queries.