Why is she pecking herself?

• 9 Replies

Tinkers

• www.the-admin-angels.co.uk
Why is she pecking herself?
« on: January 28, 2009, 20:12 »
It's me again....

Same problem I'm afraid. Our Warren is pecking herself and we have no idea what do with her.

As some of you may already be aware, we have had a problem with the our three hens since just before Christmas, leading to one being completely seperated from the other two due really bad pecking.

Now our warren is pecking herself and one of the others has joined in to peck her now and again too.

We could seperate her, but what use would it do as she is doing it to herself. We received some Hen Specs through the post today hoping that this would help but obviously she is still pecking herself and the specs aren't big enough to fit our other hen.

We're really at a loss of what to do now :( Has any one else experienced this problem? And how did you solve it..?

Vember

Re: Why is she pecking herself?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 20:26 »
Hi Tinkers :)

Have you checked her over to make sure there are no lice on board?

Is she doing it in a particular place??

Sarah :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 20:27 »
It's a new one on me tinkers, but could she be moulting?  and her loose feathers are itchy, so she's pulling them out for relief?

Hope she is fine again soon.  It's horrible to see them pecking whether its each otehr or the others!

Tinkers

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 20:52 »
We have checked her for lice and she doesn't seem to have anything, none of the others are reacting in this way. Am I right in thinking if one has lice they would all have them?

She is moulting, I think this is how this whole pecking think started off. She is literally plucking her own feathers out. She has been been pecking her back alot, the straws are growing through, but they don't seem to have come through very far. There are little tufts of feathers coming through. She is also plucking featers from her sides. The thing that worries me is that it is incessantly doing it  :(

Vember

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 21:09 »
Ahhh poor girlie :(

I only asked about the lice as I had 5 new girls end of last year and they were riddled constantly pecking at themselves :( & rolling in the soil a lot.
Butttt they didn't actually pull any feathers out  :wacko:

I have seen some hens with lice and others without kept in the same shed - unsure if some are more attractive to lice than others lol

Don't know if you've read this or not in the info pages
"Feather Mite
Feather Mite (Knemidocoptes gallinae) are barely visible and burrow into the skin at the base of the feathers causing the chicken to scratch and pull its feathers out.
"
It goes on to say its worst in warm weather ???
Here's the link to the rest of that info :)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=5250.0

Tinkers

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 09:31 »
Thanks Vember  :)

Well, I have just sat and read the lot and it doesn't sound too hopefull if it is feather mite does it.  :(

I'm kind of hoping that it is just that she is moulting and the loose feathers are itching as suggested by Grannie. We have a small little thing (you will have to excuse my description, as I have no idea what it is called) that is almost like a bit for a horse that is placed in the beak and held on by sitting in the nostrils  - very similar to hen specs, which will allow her to eat and drink but not to close her beak entirely - hence no pecking herself. But if she is itching, would it be cruel to put this on her?  ???

Is anyone else finding their chickies more troublesome in the winter months or is it just us!  :(

Vember

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 09:38 »
I'd put the specs on her if it stops her doing damage to herself Tinkers :)
It is safe to apply a small amount of germolene to hens so maybe you could try that or something similar to try to rid the feeling of itchiness for her :)

Tinkers

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 10:33 »
Well we had the specs on her about six times last night and she was still pecking herself with them on  ??? and then just simply lifted her foot up and flicked them off  :D

She was having none of it, so might try the beak thing instead.

I think I am going to let them have the run of the garden again too, see if that helps. I won't have any lawn left or bulbs for that matter - but I guess its worth a try :unsure:

Thanks Vember will try the Germoline too

Jenny  :D

Hengist

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 13:28 »
Could it be boredom?  Do the hens have something to do in the run - perches or logs to jump on?  A tray of sand or something to dust-bath in? Just a thought ::)

Tinkers

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 14:00 »
Hi Hengist, Yep, they have a dust bath, they have logs, they have broccoli hanging from the top of the run (and the sides if it lasts more than five minutes :lol:) and they have a mirror.

I have let them out this lunch time and watched Cilla (the self-pecker) pottering around the garden and there wasn't a hint of a peck  ??? - which is unusual because over the last week I have been letting them out while I'm at home for lunch and she had still been pecking.

I am hoping that if she continues like she is (no pecking) by the time the OH gets home then we may be able to rule out the mite theory (Please!)

On a positive note, it gives them more time around each other as the seperated one (who has nearly grown all her feathers back) has the run of the garden anyway. They have had interaction through the run anyway so no re-introducing required Yay! or is that Phew?  :)

xx
Hen mis-pecking

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 26, 2015, 08:38
by Sassy
xx
hen pecking

Started by Lorie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 22, 2009, 13:59
by Foxy
question
Pecking again

Started by gladiator on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 16, 2010, 12:52
by gladiator
xx
Egg pecking

Started by ctayts on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 17, 2010, 15:21
by jamima

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 39 queries.