Ok it's nearing the end of Feb

• 10 Replies

billathome65

• Experienced Member
Ok it's nearing the end of Feb
« on: February 20, 2011, 16:25 »
Ok it's nearing the end of Feb and this is where I am up too in the garden

This area is covered with Compost and more to be added I think?  It is the area that is quite wet and full of clay I am wondering what I can plant out here and how you guys and ladies would partition them into sections?

The fence to the left will be coming out when I put the chicken coop together so I can gain access to them from the garden as I will be turning the fence towards the house to shield it the chickens from the dog and ferrets as I don't want them scaring the poor Chucks

This part is suprisingly well drained and the soil is breaking down quite fine so I may actually plant out carrots and anything else that likes well drained fine soil Ideas welcome.

You can also just see the Gooseberry canes I have planted in a large bucket the Canes where salvaged from the cutting back of the Gooseberry bush in the raised area of the garden.

I have cut back the Gooseberry bush and planted the Blackcurrant near in this area.

Replanted this Raspberry bush as I was scares on the compost initially as I wasn't sure what I was doing.

Here is where I have planted the early Raspberries. Had a number of dead ferrets buried here and with the leaf mould from next doors tree mixed with the compost I think they will do well? can I plant in between these until the are established with Runners and Sprouts?

And then we have the Blueberries planted here but no rain water to water them do to a mischievous dog.

And finally this area still covered until I decide what I can plant here it's the most shaded part of the garden?

I know there is a lot to go through but as a newbie I need all the help I can get to successfully tackle the next stage.

Cheers Bill

The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

TheSpartacat

Re: Ok it's nearing the end of Feb
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 18:47 »
When you say "I will be turning the fence towards the house to shield it the chickens from the dog and ferrets as I don't want them scaring the poor Chucks",
I'm not sure where you mean?
Is the house behind you when you' took the first picture? If so, I'd be worried of creating too much shade. It's quite enclosed as it is.

Your soil does look quite gravelling and clumpy. I'm not sure carrots would do very well in it. Carrots are very fussy about well draining, stone free soil. It needs to look like breadcrumbs to do a decent crop of carrots.

"Here is where I have planted the early Raspberries. Had a number of dead ferrets buried here and with the leaf mould from next doors tree mixed with the compost I think they will do well? can I plant in between these until the are established with Runners and Sprouts? "

Wouldn't opt for Sprouts. They're in the ground a long time, are tall and will crowd your canes.
You wouldn't fit the runner canes/wigwam/  there either.
It also looks a little shady to me, just going by the moss on the corner... how about something more shade tolerant, low growing and quick cropping like lettuce?

"And finally this area still covered until I decide what I can plant here it's the most shaded part of the garden?"
Again, would think about shade tolerant things like Lettuce, Kohl Rabi,  radishes, perpetual spinach and kale.
Here's a list of shade tolerant veggies (and by shade, i mean dappled sunlight or a few hours of sunlight each day) http://organicgardening.about.com/od/vegetablesherbs/a/shadeveggies.htm

Try not to squeeze TOO much in. While you're learning, it really is better to concentrate on one or two veg that will be successful rather than trying to stock the fridge with such a small space.
It's hard when you're keen and eager, but i've had experience of small gardens before and its depressing when your one or two broccoli plants that took up a lot of space let you down and you barely get enough for a meal out of them.

Tomatoes are a good use of space. You get a decent crop from a couple of vines. Salad leaves are another, rocket, lettuce, mized salad leaf etc. Spring onions. The quick growing greens like chinese cabbage and pak choi. Turnip. Radish. Beetroot. These are all easier things to start with and will maximise the yield from the area
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 18:49 by TheSpartacat »

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 19:46 »
I cant add a thing to whats been said, other than agree that I think the proposed fence panel  would be a mistake if we have interpreted your intentions correctly.

Unless otherwise stated it can be assumed ALL posts are by Pa Snip

Carrotcake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 21:57 »
You've done a great job of clearing your garden Bill  :D How much sun do you get during the day?

If I were you, I'd start with the things you like to eat and then check whether you can give them what they need in your space.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 22:20 »
The main problem as I see it Bill, is that you've been bitten and are going to need more than your back garden! :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

jimmytheshed

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 22:32 »
Agree with DD. try a few easy rewarding things you can fit in a small space, letuce, toms. beans ect. have you got your name on a list?

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 16:18 »
When you say "I will be turning the fence towards the house to shield it the chickens from the dog and ferrets as I don't want them scaring the poor Chucks",
I'm not sure where you mean?
Is the house behind you when you' took the first picture? If so, I'd be worried of creating too much shade. It's quite enclosed as it is.

Not read all your message yet but thought I'd clear this up. A picture of the area I am putting the Hen house and run The furthest panel being the one coming out and turned.

Cheers Bill
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 17:16 by billathome65 »

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 16:46 »
The main problem as I see it Bill, is that you've been bitten and are going to need more than your back garden! :lol:

Every time I drive past the local Lotties I snarl  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have asked about the local Lotties of which there are only two and they are all full and have very long waiting lists. Shade will always be an issue until early afternoon in this garden but once it gets to Around 11.30 / 12.00 It's sunny then till the sun starts setting. On the neighbours fence area. once the panel comes out if I decide to let the chucks out they are straight into the garden and again protected from the dog and especially the ferrets.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 16:52 by billathome65 »

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 17:45 »
The first pic, you might want to allow a narrow pathway so you can access any crops at the fence in, specifically, in between the slab walk and the back fence.

In your shady area, you could do large pots with blueberries. they don't mind some shade provided they're well watered (not soggy). You could also do black currants but the pots need to be substantial, perhaps large wooden boxes raised slightly for drainage.

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 21:28 »
Hi once the fence has been moved I will be walking area out.

One of the questions I have wanting to be answered is what veg can I plant between the Raspberry bushes until they get established Cabbage has been mentioned what about onions or leeks?

Cheers Bill

noshed

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 11:18 »
A few onion sets would be a good idea - they shouldn't interfere too much with your rasps. I've got a row next to mine.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 39 queries.