Broad beans

• 29 Replies

Sarah Doran

Broad beans
« on: October 01, 2020, 09:48 »
I live in the south of England and want to do an autumn sowing of broad beans. Recommendations for best variety please, and do I just sow them out as I would a spring sowing? Thanks

wighty

Re: Broad beans
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 15:56 »
I usually grow Aquadulce which seem to overwinter here okay.  I usually start them off in the greenhouse in pots until about 3" tall and then plant out.  If the weather turns really nasty (very seldom here on the Island) we have a large cloche which we put over them but have not had to use it this past three or four years.   Welcome to the site by the way.  Someone else will come along in a minute and tell you I do it all wrong, that's what usually happens! :D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 15:57 by wighty »

CHRISDONOHUE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 16:30 »
In the south of England, you can sow either Aquadulce or Aquadulce Claudia directly in the soil 2" deep, 9" apart in rows 12" apart.   Or, if you expect not all to germinate, 6" apart and then transplant if too many come up.

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 17:16 »
Concur with the previous posts on variety , I'm planting direct to ground and have in previous years used loo roles to mark where the seeds are. Not tried planting on. One of my favourite veg provided you pick them young .  Good luck.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
Re: Broad bean
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 18:55 »
Aquadulce are okay. However if your plot is exposed and prone to gales then The Sutton is another option. It's a dwarf whereas Aqaudulce isn't so it survives better on windy sites. B

Dan1957

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 20:59 »
Anyone got any particular recommendations for northern growers?

CHRISDONOHUE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2020, 00:43 »
It is slightly too risky for northern growers to attempt to grow Autumn crops since it is slightly too cold for even hardy varieties to get through a cold winter - they will rot.   The best policy for them is to raise under cover and transplant early in the season when the soil begins to warm up, but you are looking for crops in July rather than the May to June you can get Autumn-sown beans in the south.   In some mild winters you may succeed to sow in Autumn but failure is quite costly unless you have kept your own seed and are willing to take a risk and still sow knowing that you can get a later crop by sowing in the spring.

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2020, 07:56 »
Yes CD is right. Autumn showings rarely work up north. Better is to start in pots in greenhouse in Feb and then transplant out after a month as it starts warming up.

Christine

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2020, 08:54 »
I've tried and I'm only in the north east. I'd say wait till spring with seeds. Better the money in your pocket than the seeds rotting in the ground.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2020, 12:40 »
If you still want to have a go despite the posts above  :D then the varieties mentioned already by others (Aq Claudia and The Sutton) are OK up north.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Nobbie

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2020, 12:44 »
I may throw in some aquadulce and pop a cloche over them when the weather turns bad. No other use for the cloches at this time. Won’t put it on too early as otherwise the seedlings will probably get too soft.

rowlandwells

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2020, 17:15 »
we usually grow a green bean so next  year its going to be masterpiece green i don't know if that variety would be ok for autumn sowings?

i did try growing another variety about a couple of years ago in the greenhouse but the mice had a field day taking the lot i suspect growing broad beans to overwinter has the advantage of being a bit earlier than spring sown and from overwintering broad beans outdoors is there a risk of winter kill?

i know my farmer friends sow agricultural beans to overwinter and they seem to crop well but then again there field grown and in acres not poles

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2020, 14:07 »
Just looked at my catalogue and it doesn't say that Masterpiece is an autumn variety

CHRISDONOHUE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2020, 17:49 »
I agree with Yorkie on the variety.   Up north, it is a risk even with Aquadulce or Aquadulce Claudia and the odds are steeper with other varieties not known to be especially hardy.   But if you have plenty of seeds and want to try, in some years you will succeed.   I would not want to discourage you experimenting.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2020, 21:02 »
Anyone here rates Bunyard’s exhibition? I have had disappointing results with autumn sowed Aquadulce and good results ( admittedly only tried once) with B.E. I am in London.

xx
Broad beans without broad beans inside!

Started by Jackypam on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2013, 16:56
by Aunt Sally
xx
healthy Broad Beans flowers ...no beans see pics advice ?

Started by Sir Growalot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 18:47
by gobs
exclamation
French beans and broad beans

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 13:44
by lovemyveg
xx
Why do some broad beans have big pods but no beans?

Started by Mrs Bee on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 21:40
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.374 seconds with 54 queries.