My first attempt at making a coop

• 53 Replies

poultrygeist

Re: My first attempt at making a coop
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2009, 15:04 »
Just caught up with this thread. Well done Richard. Takes me back 2 years  ::)

AN excellent job and shoudl last you for years to come. Where's the 6x4 shed going to go when you decide on a full dozen hens then ?  ;) :D

Rob 8)

Flowerpower136

« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2009, 15:08 »
Such a smart coup and run, looks great, and so do the girls.
Don't think the grass will last very long though, might need to resort to wood chips on the floor of the run, or just bare earth.

I've just been turning over the earth in our run, and the girls loved it, should have seen the worms we found, yum.

bexy

« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2009, 17:14 »
Fantastic 1st class job,well done. :tongue2:
Just one wee question.......how do you get in the run to clean up the pooh?
 A job i do daily otherwise you will have flies galore and a wonderful (NOT) aroma?

karlooben

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2009, 17:44 »
well done  :D :D :D thats a smart looking run an house and the girls are already showing that they love it as well .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

RichardH

« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2009, 17:48 »
Mmmmm - cleaning out the run might be a bit of a pain - there are two doors, but my wife and I were discussing making the "roof" of the run a hinged panel, so we can get right in.

The other option is that it will simply move/lift away, but I might need to add some handles to make that easier.

However, the run is not meant to be their only area - after a few days they'll be getting the run of an area of garden, so I'm hoping they'll not poop too much in the run area itself (fat chance).

bexy

« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2009, 18:10 »
If you adapt the top end by making part of it hinged (approx same size of nest box) then you will be able to lift it up and get a sweeping brush in there to sweep it near the door or even bend in to collect?

RichardH

« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2009, 08:44 »
Yes, I was thinking to make the whole top end panel lift off.

However, another thought has struck. I could actually split the run into two sections, so that the end piece comes away completely - that way it would be easier to manhandle, and also easy to get in and clean out in there.

I think that might be a plan :)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2009, 09:05 »
fantastic, well done, you must be really proud! :D your girls are beautiful too.....but i dont think your run is big enough for 10 birds!.......cos they are addictive you know.....you will get more...dont say i didnt warn you :blink: :D xx

RichardH

« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2009, 09:45 »
Thought it might be worth giving an update on the coop now it's been in use for a couple of months.

First off, in general it's been dead easy to use and clean out. I did move the roosting bars around to rtey and encourage a particular chicken to get up with the rest of them - she seemee dto be intimidated by them, so I thought this "T" arrangement would give access to a greater length without her having to get pushy

The twin growbag trays have been FANTASTIC for cleaning. You can slide each one partially out in turn to poo pick. And when it comes for a complete change of bedding....

...Whoosh, it all just slides into the compost bin.

The low height of the run area hasn't been such a good idea. For one thing it provides a "hop up" area for certain chickens to make a bid for freedom

Though to be fair she's only done it the once, on one of the first times they had run of the garden.

Also, it's hard to get in and clear it out, although now that they have the bigger area fenced off, they aren't in the run very often.

In hindsight, I would have made the run full height, but that would have made access to the nest box harder without more convoluted doors etc. Maybe a project for the Spring.

Also, I think I would have looked at a "grid" of roosting bars with the bedding material inaccessible underneath, so that they can only roost at the one level - no cowering on the floor with the potential to be pooped upon overnight. I'd be worried about al lthe extra crannies for red mite to hang out in, though - so maybe adapt a couple of sectors of that plastic chicken house flooring stuff.

xx
Is this an attempt at an egg??

Started by purplekat on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post May 06, 2007, 00:01
by buckie
xx
first attempt at hatching

Started by Evansent on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 15:53
by Evansent
xx
hatching attempt number 2

Started by redspookycooky on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 22, 2011, 07:36
by Casey76
xx
Photo's of my DIY attempt - No Laughing allowed LOL !!!

Started by francais on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post October 29, 2009, 21:55
by raeburg

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 29 queries.