Dragon Fruit

• 12 Replies

Brushcutter

• Andrews Decorating
Dragon Fruit
« on: April 02, 2010, 20:10 »
Just saved some seeds from a dragon fruit, amazing looking thing!
So what do you think just plant them and pop them on the window cill and see what comes up? Any ideas, Im sure someone on here has had a go at growing these.
... ???

pumpkinpatch

Re: Dragon Fruit
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 20:36 »
i suppose you just dry them out and plant them
the dragon fruit is the one with the pink and i think its green colours and has spikes going upwards on it is it ? i had one years back just trying to rember if it was a dragon fruit or not :lol:

Brushcutter

• Andrews Decorating
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 20:37 »
Thats the one! great colours. :happy:

pumpkinpatch

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 20:48 »
Yeah very vibrant indeedy  :lol:
they tasted a bit like a water mellon to me

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 10:46 »
I think they grow into giant cactus :)

pumpkinpatch

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 14:32 »
Yeah just looked it up then there like a giant cactus so youd have a wait on your hands

Brushcutter

• Andrews Decorating
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 15:27 »
Nice one! Cheers guys :D

jimmytheshed

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 14:07 »
Dont know about your dragon fruit, but nice to know theres somone else from faversham on here :) im over at north preston site, not to bad either. I only have a shared plot, wouldnt mind getting a bit more space myself, have they got a water supply there yet? and any spare plots?

Babstreefern

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 16:38 »
I bought a dragon fruit in Morrisons, and they were scrumptious :tongue2:.  Personally, they look and taste identical to kiwi fruit, but bigger.  I've a feeling they won't grow well in this country.  Not enough sun and warmth for them. :(
Babs

Brushcutter

• Andrews Decorating
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 22:19 »
Dont know about your dragon fruit, but nice to know theres somone else from faversham on here :) im over at north preston site, not to bad either. I only have a shared plot, wouldnt mind getting a bit more space myself, have they got a water supply there yet? and any spare plots?

Hi Jimmy, no mains water yet. Got a 1000ltr IBC  tank, rigged up a lean to roof to collect the rainwater, its funny now im happy when it rains! There are a few plots in need of attention, not sure who they belong to. It took 1 year from going on the list to getting the plot, from talking to other plot holders 1 year is average.  Do you have mains at North Preston?

Brushcutter

• Andrews Decorating
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 22:26 »
I bought a dragon fruit in Morrisons, and they were scrumptious :tongue2:.  Personally, they look and taste identical to kiwi fruit, but bigger.  I've a feeling they won't grow well in this country.  Not enough sun and warmth for them. :(

You are spot on there, tons of seeds inside like kiwis.  I doubt i will get a plant too bare fruit, with the weather and all that. Im still going to plant a few seeds and see what comes up, bring on the global warming! :D

jimmytheshed

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 15:28 »
hi, we have mains water, but collect where poss. to stop rents going up with the water bill, do you have a green house or poly tunnel to help the dragon fruit along. if not our site has just got a load of metal hoops off a farmer that could easily make a tunnel, still think theres some for sale (£6-£7 each i think). let me know i might be able to save some. the chairmans brothers down your site kevin castle, do you know him ?

Brushcutter

• Andrews Decorating
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 18:11 »
hi, we have mains water, but collect where poss. to stop rents going up with the water bill, do you have a green house or poly tunnel to help the dragon fruit along. if not our site has just got a load of metal hoops off a farmer that could easily make a tunnel, still think theres some for sale (£6-£7 each i think). let me know i might be able to save some. the chairmans brothers down your site kevin castle, do you know him ?
Hi Jimmy,
Thanks for offering to save some hoops, but im considering getting a small green house for the back yard a little later in the year.
I havent met Kevin yet, probably only a matter of time as everyone down there is so friendly!

xx
Dragon fruit - pic added

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 21:53
by asd1
xx
Purple Dragon carrots

Started by jivebunny on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 07, 2013, 20:48
by jivebunny
xx
Thai Dragon Chillis

Started by CarlC on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 09, 2009, 22:18
by Steve.P
xx
Purple Dragon Carrot Seeds

Started by blackberryjam on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post March 07, 2013, 22:03
by blackberryjam

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 38 queries.