chicken unable to stand or walk

• 5 Replies

iowrooster

chicken unable to stand or walk
« on: January 28, 2010, 18:56 »
Hi guys

On saturday I noticed one of my silkie girls limping very badly, on sunday the limp had got worse and she became unable to stand.  I have had her indoors since sunday in a cardboard box, and took her to the vets yesterday.  The vet checked her over and could n`t see any obvious signs of anything wrong and diagnosed some anti inflamataries suggesting that it could be a strain , also mentioning that if she does n`t improve that it could be mareks disease.  Today I have come home and believe her balance has got worse.  I go to Austria for a week tomorrow and have a relative looking after my girls. The vet suggested that the silkie would be ok to be left in the box for the next week, being cared for by my relative , and that by the time I get back the leg would either be better or mareks could be suspected.  Do you think that this is fare on her? or would it be best to have her culled? we lost one of our other silkies in the summer and i really want to do best by her, but would hate to lose another so soon.

Cheers for looking and for any replies

Lee

too many girls

Re: chicken unable to stand or walk
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 20:32 »
i have a silkie with the same problem, she couldn't walk or stand and fluttered all over the place trying to get her balance, i took her the vet today and he thinks she's pulled a muscle in her thigh, i thought it was much worse, i've been told to keep her in a small box so she doesn't hurt herself staggering about, and bring her out for food and water, she is on metacam injections, i don't think it would be a problem keeping yours in a box, but if she improves maybe being in a box for a week would be too long.

iowrooster

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 21:36 »
Hey TMG thanks for the reply.  I`m going to ask my sister in law to put her back in the run if she improves, and similarly if she doesn`t to take her back to the vet. She isn`t the daintiest of hens, so hoping she has pulled a muscle.

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 22:24 »
How old is she? mareks tends to present in young pullets, or at POL :( Look carefully for any signs of imbalance - dropped wing particulary.

iowrooster

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 07:23 »
she will be a year in February. She seems to have no use of her legs at all . She attempts to flap about a little, but otherwise is her usual self- giving the odd peck if she feels to much attention is being given to her!! the vet could n`t find any tumors. My only worry is that she has already been confined to the box since sunday, and no improvement.

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 09:12 »
Tumours will not be obvious as they will be along the spinal column. (neural tumours affecting motor control) Sometimes you can see a slight "greying" or changed shape in the pupil.

If both her legs are affected then this is not good I'm afraid.

I am thinking there is no evidence of swelling, redness that may indicate injury??? Does she seem in pain or discomfort?

xx
Chick unable to stand

Started by ferretkeeper on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 09, 2011, 18:08
by evie2
xx
Walk in Chicken Run - Any Tips

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post November 16, 2012, 18:57
by cbv8
xx
chicken can not stand up

Started by jules66 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 10, 2010, 20:08
by bantam novice
xx
Chicken with a weird walk and moulting?????

Started by Chickencoo on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post November 21, 2014, 16:28
by Chickencoo

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 36 queries.