Speeding fine vs Speed awareness course

• 31 Replies

al78

Re: Speeding fine vs Speed awareness course
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 09:06 »
Maybe they should offer the option of the driiver riding a bicycle a few times on an NSL main road for a week. They will maybe appreciate the externalised risks of speeding from the other side.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 09:45 »
Or try to cross a village road on crossing, perhaps even a school one?
Some drivers can have no idea how dangerous it feels for pedestrians faced with speeding traffic. It feels as if the majority just don't care, and some seem to enjoy driving at you and even speed up  :ohmy:

compostqueen

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 10:23 »
My husband did the course and rated it highly  he felt he learned loads

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 14:05 »
Thanks for all the advice. I decided to attend, 22nd  of December, and will give you my feedback after it

arh

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2017, 16:19 »
Mum, in reply to your unasked question, "they don't". I live on the busiest road in Clacton on Sea, and I have been working on Essex CC for the last 2 years to try and slow down the traffic on it, the police did a survey in response to my pleas and came up with 2000 VEHICLES WERE EXCEEDING 38 MPH PER DAY on a 30 mph road, and Essex CC said, and I quote, "we don't go on police surveys, we do our own when it's necessary, and here it isn't."
ps at the same time 85000 vehicles passed the "little black box" in 6 days.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2017, 19:48 »
arh - It's the same old story, over and over again, it makes me so (expletive deleted) angry  :mad:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 23:00 »
whatever you decide you have to inform your insurance company, the rules changed.

Whilst I agree with the general thrust of your post, not all insurance companies require you to inform them.  You need to read the policy carefully to see what they require.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2017, 17:06 »
Well, I attended the Speed Awareness Course as an alternative to points on my licence. Comments:

Poor, badly heated environment in a local hotel conference room
Course mainly attended by Scottish drivers and conducted by two consultants with heavy, difficult to     understand Scottish accents
Learned very little other than to not do it again and subject myself to another four hours of tedium
If I'm daft enough to get caught again, will take penalty points

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2017, 17:19 »
Poor, badly heated environment in a local hotel conference room

Learned very little other than to not do it again and subject myself to another four hours of tedium
If I'm daft enough to get caught again, will take penalty points

. You weren't there to feel comfortable.
 . Surely the point was to make you see why you shouldn't speed, not to make you better at avoiding     getting caught.
If you get caught and take the points you won't have '4 hours of tedium' but you will have an increase in your insurance quotes. If you are wondering how much more..
How will having a speeding conviction affect my insurance quote?
To work out how much a speeding conviction could add to the cost of your cover, we ran a series of quotes using a 1.2L Vauxhall Corsa, testing different age groups without convictions before testing them again with an SP40 (exceeding passenger vehicle speed limit) conviction, which comes with three points added and a £100 fine.
The findings are based on the cheapest available insurance quotes:
For a forty year old there could be an increase from £498.86 to £582.37
A fifty year old could expect costs to rise from £397.29 to £589.42
and that was in 2015
https://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/articles/how-does-a-speeding-ticket-affect-your-insurance/

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2017, 19:25 »
. Surely the point was to make you see why you shouldn't speed, not to make you better at avoiding     getting caught.
Semantics. What I mean is that I've no intention of breaking the speed limit again.

Another observation: Talking to the other attenders on the course, several had driven the 100 miles from Edinburgh and the 90 miles from Glasgow to attend the course. They told me that Carlisle is the nearest course venue for them. There's surely something seriously wrong when I in N Cumbria have a choice of two venues, each about 10  minutes from home and our friends in Scotland are expected to travel up to two hours each way. It's not as if the Scottish Central belt is underpopulated

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2017, 09:33 »
Sounds very different to the course I did. I actually learned a few things - like the limit is not 70 on a 4 lane road unless there's a central divider. A bit of help with anticipation as well plus it did change my attitude. If I'm driving in a 30 or 40 zone and the rest want to go faster - I'm the bee who sticks to the limit.
Incidentally, I think the speed limits are wrong. Motorways should be 80 or maybe higher and many of the 40 limits around here would be better as 50 BUT I'd make the limit on housing estates 20 or maybe 15 with lots of passive controls like road narrowing spots.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2017, 10:10 »
I'm probably being unfair when I say I learned nothing new. The truth is that after the penalty notice, I bought a copy of the Highway Code and learned about all the changes since I last read it 50+ years ago so most of what the instructors were telling us was old news. Like I said, the big lesson learned was to not let it happen again.

Oh, and the other lesson was to understand why many Scots feel bitter about English Law when I discovered that there are no suitable Speed Awareness venues for them, and unlike me who had the choice of two venues each about 10 to 15 minutes away, they had round trips of 4 hours to attend one

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2017, 13:32 »
Oh, and the other lesson was to understand why many Scots feel bitter about English Law when I discovered that there are no suitable Speed Awareness venues for them, and unlike me who had the choice of two venues each about 10 to 15 minutes away, they had round trips of 4 hours to attend one
We're not too fussed about them coming over the wall and rustling our cattle but if they drive too fast they have to pay the price! :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2017, 14:26 »
My OH had one not too far away from here and he learnt a lot too. Then he tested me to see if I was au fait with current rules etc. I surprised him and myself as to how much I'd retained from when I passed my test in the mid-seventies, and also how I'd been able to update my driving skills etc. I think he felt a bit contrite especially as he's been done for speeding before and I never have.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2017, 14:42 »
Yes, it was honours even in our house too. Wife picked up two convictions on same trip about six years ago and I'd never let her forget it, until now!

xx
Wales Speed Limit

Started by AndyRVTR on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post September 18, 2023, 20:29
by Yorkie
xx
Speeding up Spring's arrival

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post January 27, 2019, 16:50
by Veg Plot 1B
xx
Breast cancer awareness week.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2019, 19:07
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 55 queries.