Not roosting

• 11 Replies

Foghorn

• Longclose Pigs
Not roosting
« on: April 11, 2009, 21:18 »
Just got my first 7 fowl today and am a complete novice. They seem to have settled and I have spent a fair amount of time with them this afternoon but I have just checked them (9.10pm) and they are all huddled in a corner in there run and not on there roost is this normal. There run is 18ft X 10ft totally enclosed and roofed with perches outside and in the coop. Any advice much appreciated.

Sparr0wman

Re: Not roosting
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 21:44 »
ive had the same thing. I find them in the corner of the coop, i have been picking them up andnputting them on the pirch. I feel aweful as they look so comfy. Does it matter where they choose to sleep?

treacleminer

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 22:15 »
When you first get them, they may not be used to a perch.  Picking up and putting them on it trains them.

They apparently do something like 2/3rds of their droppings at night, so perching at least keeps them out of it!  Possibly other health reasons too, someone else will now :)

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 17:05 »
heehee!  :D
ours hardly ever perch - only when it's boiling hot outside, and they need a draft down below....
they seem quite happy (they sleep on newspaper and it gets changed every day)
all of their petticoats are in good order, so it's not burning them....

alibean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 19:22 »
In agreement with treaclimber - a little encouragement might be needed.

I had to put my ex-bats in their house to start with and even after a year three sleep on the perch and three nestle down in the straw. ( and the perch is plenty long enough).  As long as they are secure from predators and away from nasty draughts they can choose their arrangements as far as I'm concerned!!! :nowink:

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 21:42 »
It’s best to encourage them to perch and keep them out of the poo. Those that do perch are safe from poo but those that stay beneath will get bombed by those above!!

They will learn it just takes a bit of time.

Good luck.

aspirant

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 09:55 »
Our ladies always line up outside their house and wait to be lifted in at night.

Only the top ranking ladies perch and the other five seem quite happy to settle down in the straw.

Sparr0wman

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 09:59 »
one has now took to perching on the drinker ::) , I'm still lifting them on and they seem happy to stay there. It is 20 inches from the floor So i tink i'm going to make something so they can get up there. A bit of home improvememnts for the chooks.

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 13:12 »
My Black Stars hardly ever roost in the house although everyong else does - wouldn't you know the black ones get to wear the lovely white droppings each morning  :tongue2: but they do roost out doors, they love to be up on something. And there seems to be no pecking order for the roost - our baby CL hybrids both roost up there with the big girls.
3 o'clock is both too early and too late to start anything - Sartre said so.

wadz81

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 13:21 »
Ours are non roosting aswell and we've had them since november they like to make a little dint in the straw and snuggle in together, it might change as the weather gets warmer? ???

Foghorn

• Longclose Pigs
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 22:59 »
Thanks for the replies. I have been putting them on the roost and they are happy to stay there until morning. will carry on with this for a while longer but it seems from replies they are all dfferent and happy with the way they choose to bed down for the night.

Sparr0wman

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 20:44 »
I built a ramp onto the pirch from some ply wood. as i closed the door tonight there they were cuddlin close to each roosting.  8)  Quick learners by the looks of things. you've gotta love em'  :)

xx
Roosting

Started by davelambo on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 06, 2012, 20:33
by ANHBUC
xx
Roosting outside

Started by Pavlodge on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 30, 2013, 10:24
by ANHBUC
xx
roosting

Started by anna s on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 31, 2011, 08:52
by joyfull
xx
roosting

Started by sjkjsm on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 17:45
by joyfull

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 38 queries.