New chucks not using the roosting bar?

• 12 Replies

Knight Family

« on: September 16, 2008, 21:08 »
Hi my new chuckas dont seam to be using the roosting bar but all cuddled up in the corner where there is drinkning water.

the nest box's are 2 inch off the ground and also the roosting bar is 18.5 to 19 inches off the ground, shoul din do something new ?

Note, First night and about 15 to 18 weeks old.
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 21:18 »
You could do what I sometimes have to do, and go in after they have settled and put them on the perches, they will soon get the idea, but it is their first night so still getting used to it maybe see what happens tomorrow night!! :D
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Knight Family

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 21:19 »
yer thnaks will do, just worried incase its to high as well. but we will see.

EggBound

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 17:08 »
I've had my chickens about 10 days now.  Although they have a perch in the henhouse, they all cuddle up together in one nest box at night!  Is this not normal? :?

FCG

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 21:05 »
I've had mine 4 months and they refuse to get up on the roosting bar but get on a shelf. Granted they may not have room to jump onto it or find the shelf with straw more ocmfy. They are happy enough to be put on the roosting bar tho, i wouldn't worry about it folks.

Knight Family

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 22:25 »
Well second night and there still cuddled up on the corner of the floor, but they do seam happy. so may leave them for a while and see.

mother hen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 04:41 »
We have raised quite a few chicks and cuddling up seems normal to me, they are young birds in a new situation, getting warmth and comfort from each other, they will progress to perches as they gain confidence and mature. I wouldnt worry about it. :)  :)
janet

chookiepaula

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 17:36 »
Theres nothing wrong with the birds if they sit on the floor but there are advantages to sitting on a perch...
Their feet are designed to sit on a branch - as they originate from the jungle they would have slept in trees. Therefore always standing on the flat of their feet can cause limping, soreness etc.
They are also more susceptable to parasites on the ground as well as sitting in feaces and attracting unwanted flies.
To teach them to perch takes a little patience! Ensure perches arent too high then each night after they have gone in, go out and place each bird on the perch. This can take up to 2 weeks to achieve! Also make sure the perches are the right size for their feet, average size chook needs perch about 8cm diameter with rounded corners!
Hope that helps!
Check out my training courses! e-mail me for details: Chicken Keeping Courses in Cambridge

jimroden

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 20:49 »
I have had my 3  two weeks and they will not roost on the great perches I have made them they are currently in a 5ft x 4ft coop of which I have been told will keep about 12 hens in I cant see how but hey ho it was in a pub !!!!and they are using 1ft x 1ft of it  :roll:  :roll:  

What is this roosting bar and how high off the ground does it have to be?

Jim
Dont tell lies you get in trouble

T C

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 22:54 »
We have a large branch of a tree, we have fixed it across a corner of the hen house, they used it from day 1, but when its really hot they all roost on the window sill, one always sleeps in the nesting box, they seem to know where they want to be, i think when they are used to thier new surroundings and not so nervous they will take to roosting
T C TOP CAT

Oliveview

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 23:28 »
I went to put the new hens up on the roosting bar again (after 2 weeks they still have not learnt to roost there) and one hen got really annoyed and wanted to go to the other side of Emu, who did not move, she was sat as normal, head back....  in the end the other hen climbed onto Emu´s back, Emu naturally wasn´t happy and the other hen fell off and landed on the floor under Emu :lol:   There was much fluffing of feathers as the hen jumped back onto the roost. :lol:
Pamela

Knight Family

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 07:13 »
Well the old girls are now using it, but the ex batts are not but thats just that they dont know how to jump!

T C

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 23:59 »
When we lived in the uk, our neibours had freerange hens, they were always in our horses padock, at night one hen would make its way over to our stable block, and roost on our ponys back, freddie always had a heap of poo on his back in the morning, some times this old hen would fly up onto freedies back while the kids were riding him around the paddock, she would stay up there for ages, this went on for years, freedie really loved the hen, now i keep hens myself i am surprised that the hen didnt follow the others home to roost. tc

xx
Roosting

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 08, 2011, 21:06
by daisy1990
xx
Roosting

Started by davelambo on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 06, 2012, 20:33
by ANHBUC
xx
Not roosting

Started by Foghorn on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 15, 2009, 20:44
by Sparr0wman
question
roosting

Started by tweed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 21, 2011, 21:19
by ChristyRose

Page created in 0.368 seconds with 38 queries.