Brilliant successes

• 3 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Brilliant successes
« on: September 04, 2012, 19:35 »
After such a desperately bad year, looking on the bright side I have some major successes.

My parsnips are clean, unfanged and about 50 cm long and about 10 cm across at the top

My leek, thanks to liberal applications of pasture fertilizer are 5 or 6 cm diameter and still growing

The sweetcorn that were in the polytunnel were superb. The ones outside will be ready to harvest later this month and look to be a bumper crop

Beetroots (regular Boltardy plus Chiogga and Golden) are the best I've ever grown

Celeriacs are swelling nicely

The two courgette plants are cropping like wild things

After a desperately slow start the runner beans and Cobra climbers are keeping friends, family and neighbours fed.

All the above is some slight compensation for blighted spuds and tomatoes, drowned brassicas, empty broadbean pods, total absence of apples and plums, menagerie-ridden celery and poor showing from various types of peas

allotmentann

Re: Brilliant successes
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 20:28 »
I am only on my plot first year and I am very happy with what I have been able to harvest in what has been a bad year. But then I have nothing to compare with! It is good to hear that you have had some successes. I have had success with broad beans, swiss chard (but no idea what to do with it!), runner beans, french beans, sweetcorn, courgettes, patty pan squash, garlic, leeks and a whole host of herbs. Winter squash and pumpkins just starting. Onions were small - but I was very late planting. (Like you tomatoes and spuds have been blighted). :)

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 20:34 »
Forgot to add, onions (at least those without white rot), shallots and garlic were fine too

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 20:58 »
my first year too. loads of beetroot and more to come leeks looking good. 8' high artichokes
beautiful carrots and healthy lookin parsnips from the leaves. Brassicas looking good for the winter. small amounts of french beans courgettes perp spinach and onions too. Enough for 2 of us and just a little to dehydrate.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

xx
Successes!

Started by Lulu on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 20:46
by LivvyW
xx
Your 2016 successes

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 23, 2016, 22:54
by Swing Swang
xx
Remembering successes and failures?

Started by adri123 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2013, 10:45
by Kristen
xx
Allium successes and failures

Started by Chiswickian on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 22:39
by Chiswickian

Page created in 0.369 seconds with 39 queries.