When to ignore packet instructions? F1 Incas tomatoes

• 10 Replies

Turnba

When to ignore packet instructions? F1 Incas tomatoes
« on: September 04, 2012, 09:55 »
Hi all

I'm building up some experience, slowly, but when should you ignore seed packet instructions?

I have two types of tomatoes in the greenhouse - F1 Incas and regular Alicante. I staked up the Alicante and have pruned some of the leaves off. Things are going ok but the fruits are taking their time to ripen (been green for a LONG time now).

F1 Incas' packet stated not to stake up or prune, but when they all fell over with the huge fruit (a couple of snapped stems too) I staked them up. Now they are a big bushy mess with not much air flow around the plants. Also not much in the way of ripening but plenty of fruit present.

Should I get the knife out and remove some leaves?

Thanks,

Michael.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: When to ignore packet instructions? F1 Incas tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 09:58 »
Dobies say that when grown in greenhouses, to pinch out the side shoots:

Incas - Dobies
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 10:10 »
My Suttons Inca seed packet says no pinching out required, which is something I managed to overlook.  ::)
Despite this senior moment they have still grown extremely bushy in the greenhouse - judicious thinning of leaves is a good idea to let air and sunshine in and reduce the chances of condensation being trapped on the leaves, which is bad news as it can encourage blight and/or botrytis as well as slightly delaying ripening.

Don't overdo it though - the plant needs some leaves to manufacture food for itself and its fruits.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

stompy

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 10:18 »
I had this quandry last year with my roma plum toms, the instructions stated not to pinch out as it's a bush variety, i ignored them.
I have grew these for a good few years and grew them as cordons alowing side shoots to form until a flower truss apeared then nipped out the growing tip.
I never got a huge crop but always got a good crop with fully ripe fruits.
Also i left 2 to 3 tiers of leaves at the top of the plant  as it grew i removed the bottom set of leaves leaving the fruits bathed in light, i do this with all my tomato plants with the exeption of the tumblers but i don't grow them very often.

Andy

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 10:44 »
I know they say not to pinch out, but I have the same problem, most of my fruits on Inca and Roma are well hidden!

I'm going down later to take off some of the leaves.

Also thinking about what I can do next year to keep the fruits off the ground, my tying and staking didn't go well this year!  :blink:

stompy

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 10:50 »
Hi GrannieAnnie,

I had wires running the length of the GH and used canes to suport the main stems and then strings tied to the fruit trusses then ip to the wires.
Worked a treat  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 11:29 »
Incas and Roma will not always produce further upwards growth if you restrict them to one stem and grow them up a single cane, pinching out side shoots from the armpits.....this is why the seed pkt says no pinching out.

but there's no reason not to prune them if they become too large or leafy and supporting heavy trusses is always a good idea  :D

stompy

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 11:31 »
Mine grew as a single cordon right to the roof last time mum, no problem at all.
I used to end up with too many small and unripe fruits before i started useing this method!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 11:42 »
yes defo need that support for the trusses, and might try them as cordon next year.  thanks!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 12:34 »
We felt the need to prune Inca plants when we grew them last year otherwise, as you say
they are a big bushy mess with not much air flow around the plants.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 20:45 »
I never pinch out any of my Roma stems as I want all the tomatoes I can get, but I do pinch off some of the excessive leaf growth so I can keep an eye on pests, and so that air and light can get through, otherwise it's a jungle tangle. I start at the bottom after I see fruit set and slowly work my way up stem by stem with fruit set.

I always stake my Romas because they do get top heavy and can snap stems, and it keeps the fruit away from mice that will happily eat green tomatoes   >:( It also makes it easier for the bees to pollinate more fruit.

xx
Reading the instructions on the seed packet

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 20, 2008, 00:14
by WirralWally
xx
Incas and Roma

Started by Yorkie on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 30, 2011, 11:47
by tosca100
xx
When you look at the seed packet

Started by Rangerkris on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 24, 2012, 22:14
by digga666
xx
date on seed packet

Started by Carollan on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 06, 2012, 21:25
by Growster...

Page created in 0.69 seconds with 40 queries.