Chicken Poo

• 9 Replies

F1schuey

Chicken Poo
« on: February 17, 2011, 08:53 »
Is it normal for my new chickens to do all their pooing in their bedroom.  They do some in the enclosure, run and coop.... but when I have a peek to check if I have any of those ellusive things called eggs, the nesting boxes are packed with poo everyday....??? I just remove it each day, is it normal for them to do it there???
I have 1 Lovely Husband, 2 lovely children, Poppy the Jack Russell, Alvin the Hamster, Jemima & Florence, Ben & Jerry the Budgies and our gorgeous Chick Sylvia and Jess aka Terry :D

Beano

Re: Chicken Poo
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 09:04 »
I think it's normal for them to do a lot of their pooing at night. If they sleep in their nestboxes I'm afraid that's where the poo will be. Three of my older chickens sleep in the nestboxes and my two youngsters sleep on the perch. Fortunately the older ones dont poo half as much as the youngsters so there's not a lot for me to pick in the morning.
El.

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 09:04 »
You really need to discourage your hens from sleeping in the nest boxes.

On an evening, after dark, pick up your hens and place them on the roosting bars.  It would be better if you can block off access to the nest boxes during the night.

Until they get the hang of it, you will need to clean out the nest boxes every day - before they go in to lay eggs, in order to prevent soiled eggs :)

F1schuey

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 09:08 »
So Im not being cruel blocking it off.... I guess I just assumed they go in there at night. I will get my hubby to make two blocks for nesting box. He gets them up at 6.30 so he can remove the blokes then. I have read loads of books but not one has mentioned where they sleep, I just assumed in the nesting box.  What times do the do the egg thing....

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 09:41 »
So Im not being cruel blocking it off.... I guess I just assumed they go in there at night. I will get my hubby to make two blocks for nesting box. He gets them up at 6.30 so he can remove the blokes then. I have read loads of books but not one has mentioned where they sleep, I just assumed in the nesting box.  What times do the do the egg thing....

There's no set time though since they don't lay at night they tend to be more concentrated in the early morning but the egg cycle is generally reckoned to be 25hrs so it advances through the day.

Some nestboxes have shutters which hinge down as mine do which are apparent in this photo.  You are looking at the nestbox from the outside of the house with the lid lifted.  The interior of the house is behind the little Orlof bantam pullet which is standing in the box while an Orlof cockerel supervises.

HF

« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 09:48 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

orchardlady

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 10:36 »
Just pop some old shoe boxes in the nest boxes until they get into the swing of perching at night.

I have a similar system of flaps in my hen house to hillfooter and I very rarely drop them down at night as everyone (chickens that is not the family) have learnt to perch.

OL

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 10:46 »
Just pop some old shoe boxes in the nest boxes until they get into the swing of perching at night.

I have a similar system of flaps in my hen house to hillfooter and I very rarely drop them down at night as everyone (chickens that is not the family) have learnt to perch.

OL

Yes training them from an early age is key.  My lot are very house dependant some houses will roost in their nestboxes given half a chance and other's won't even if I leave them open.
HF

F1schuey

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 10:52 »
Thanks folks, going to put a few chock blocks so can slide a thin piece of wood to be able to block off.  Im learning a little more everyday :D

Beano

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 12:05 »
I was given my three oldies and the habit of sleeping in the nestbox was entrenched by then. If I block off the nestboxes, they sleep on the floor and end up being pooed on by the other two. So I leave them in their nesboxes, at least they dont get pooed on then.

Abacus

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 08:44 »
My four always sleep in the nest boxes despite all my attempts to get them to sleep on the roosts but they also lay in the night so I won't be blocking off the boxes any time soon!
TTFN Jim
House Husband (Certified)
! Barnvelder Cockerel
1 Welsummer
1 Welsummer mix
1 Salmon Favorella
4 Rhodie Hybrids

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
Chicken run.

Started by Sadgit on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 13:17
by Roughlee Handled
xx
new chicken

Started by jakinpeter on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 11:01
by Jeanette
xx
Chicken Poo

Started by princesspoultry on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 10:13
by DD.

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 29 queries.