Outdoor sown crops

• 20 Replies

Beetybops

Outdoor sown crops
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2007, 14:41 »
I have a 4' x 8' raised bed of garlic, which has contracted rust disease.  My parents have told me that's what it is anyway (it's only my third year of growing garlic and I've never seen it before).  What causes this and is there any way of getting rid of it once it takes hold?  I've been told that it will inhibit the growth and I'll end up with smaller bulbs than I should. Does this sound right to you WG? As you're obviously the garlic expert here!!

WG.

Outdoor sown crops
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2007, 15:05 »
Quote from: "Beetybops"
I have a 4' x 8' raised bed of garlic, which has contracted rust disease.  My parents have told me that's what it is anyway (it's only my third year of growing garlic and I've never seen it before).  What causes this and is there any way of getting rid of it once it takes hold?  I've been told that it will inhibit the growth and I'll end up with smaller bulbs than I should. Does this sound right to you WG? As you're obviously the garlic expert here!!

Never heard of it but Google came up with http://www.garlicworld.co.uk/garden/page2.html

This states "Leaf Rust is another disease, typically associated with leeks, that can cause significant losses in garlic. Rust infection is promoted by low light and high moisture levels so avoid shade and maintain close attention to watering. Infected plants should be treated immediately either by removal & burning or by spraying with an appropriate fungicide."

Is your garlic bed shaded?

WG.

Outdoor sown crops
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2007, 15:18 »
Quote from: "http://www.garlicworld.co.uk/garden/page2.html"
Garlic is a shallow-rooted plant
Who are they kidding?  I reckon garlic puts down roots 12" or more.

Beetybops

Outdoor sown crops
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2007, 15:42 »
No, not shaded at all and in a really open and well ventilated spot.  Ground conditions are really free draining and quite sandy soil which was well manured last year when I took on the plot and the bed had sweetcorn in last year, so it didn't have an onion family growing in it last year either.  What with my gooseberry bushes getting an unexplained mould on the all berries and now this, I get the feeling I'm not doing too well so far this year!!

WG.

Outdoor sown crops
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2007, 15:45 »
Bad luck BB.   :cry:
Hope the flea beetle attack your neighbour's radishes.   :wink:

ruffmesiter_69

Outdoor sown crops
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2007, 20:18 »
so then looks like we are all experiencing the issues of the bizaree weather then.

xx
What have you sown up to now?

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post March 27, 2011, 10:28
by DD.
xx
Who has sown what so far

Started by VirginVegGrower on Grow Your Own

106 Replies
Last post February 23, 2011, 14:59
by Nicki85
xx
Has anyone sown brassicas yet?

Started by andy135 on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post March 20, 2011, 14:35
by kevinp
xx
Can kale be sown now?

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 16:05
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 35 queries.