Shoud I always close the polytunnel at night time?

• 5 Replies

debih

• Experienced Member
Over the last couple of weeks, I have left the polytunnel door open at nights as some mornings when I have been to open it up the heat has been over 100 degrees which I thought might be too hot for the plants I have in there (toms, cucumber, melon and pepper).

The door is a roll up one that ties at the top (and then zips down both sides) so I can't leave it half open or anything like that.

Am I okay to leave it open at night or should I either close it completely or let it down but only zip one half up?
I always find that work gets in the way of life.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Shoud I always close the polytunnel at night time?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 13:44 »
I think good airflow is important, especially for tomatoes but don't allow a draft on cucumbers, melons are probably similar to cucs but I don't grow them. Do you have a way of telling what your overnight temperatures have been recently, as my temptation would be to say it is warm enough to leave the door open. Is the door plastic like the rest or windbreak fabric like ours is? If its plastic, perhaps rolled down and zipped on one side only as you suggested. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 14:43 »
Last year I was doing the same thing as you, debih, and ended up with Botrytis (grey mould) :(
and after that I had to leave all the doors and side netting open just to stop all the plants dying  :ohmy:(saved most of toms luckily)

My advice would be to leave it open, but possible peg a piece of fleece/enviromesh over the doorway to stop any draughts/chill getting in.

debih

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 16:36 »
Thanks for that.  I will half zip it until I get some fleece.

Bit worried about my melon and cucumber now as I have been keeping them right near the door.  Oh well - they are still alive although not very large and no fruits on yet - I will just have to see how they go now.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 19:01 »
Our little tunnel has a couple of mesh covered vents low down on both sides, which I leave open.

I leave the zip done up only half way down and then weight then end of the door flap with two bricks.

This gives quite a good airflow but keeps things warm at night too  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Lady Rosemary

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 22:00 »
Hi debih  :)

I leave our polytunnel doors open at both ends - I have 5 cucumbers on one side at the back and 7 melons on the other side.  The cucumbers are doing really well considering they are right by the entrance and one of my melons is already showing signs of 2 fruits on it so am surprised to hear they don't like the chill.   I hope it doesn't get too cold during the evenings as I'd hate to lose anything.  :(
~Remember What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it.~

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 40 queries.