feather legs

• 14 Replies

poppies

feather legs
« on: October 10, 2008, 11:06 »
Hi we have some feather legged bantams who have been out on grass all summer but now its getting a bit muddy wondered if any one has any ideas on how to keep them reasonably clean, oh said to put them in large rabbit hutch style  cages but where they are used to scratching about i dont really want to, would putting straw down be alright - as  they could still scratch about in that.

catrine

feather legs
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 11:40 »
Hi!
I have had the same problem as you, I have big Brahma and small Millefleur chicks. They run along outside all summer, but at this time, when the soil gets muddery and its cold at night, they must be kept inside.
I put them also in big rabbit cages, before that I wash theire feet in soap water( a litle drop of dishing soap) and I get theire feet as clean as possible.
At the floor of the rabbitcage I put a piece of Linoleum ( I mean the thing we have on the floor in our kitchen/bathroom... :oops: ). This makes it easy to clean. You take that piece out and wash it, when needed. I also put dry gras and ( I do not know the name in English :cry: , its like sand, but its from wood... :roll: )in the bottom....Hope you understand my meaning...sorry about my English, I hope I will emprove :wink:
MUM!!

poppies

feather legs
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 12:33 »
Hi thanks for your advice  I think your English is very good - I think you mean sawdust

poultrygeist

feather legs
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 12:38 »
Hi Catrine. Welcome to the mad world of the forums :D

As Poppies said, your English is fine. Very few of us can speak Norwegian :oops:  :roll:

Poppies. Some good advice from catrine and I would have thought straw or bark chippings would be a good idea if you want them to run around outside. If you can create a covered area for Winter with some corrugated clear plastic over it should keep fairly clean and dry.

You should get a few more ideas from those with feathery legged friends soon :D

Rob 8)

Vember

feather legs
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 12:39 »
Welcome to the Hen House Catrine :D

Your English is great

Hope to hear more about your hen's and maybe get to see some photographs  :D

Sarah

too many girls

feather legs
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 13:37 »
is there any paticular reason why we should keep their feet clean? ie hygine, i have 3 silkies and a not known breed who have feathered feet, i have absolutley no intention of washing their feet before they go to bed, i'm afraid mine will have to stay mucky, they are not mucky as yet tho.

catrine

feather legs
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 13:40 »
Thank you very much for youre warm welcome :D
Yes, I ment sawdust... :oops: He-he... :lol:
Iam quite crazy when it comes to this Hen thing.....At first I had 7 Milleflur, small chicks with feather legs, now I also have 2 big Brahmas and 1 Jungle cock( Bankiva) and 5 Phoenix gold neck.
My husbond is a bit nervous, he is quite sure there will be more work for him, building Henhouses....again... :shock:
I would love to show you pictures, but I need some help to create the album or to get them in the right size....they do not get excepted..they are to big..
I don`t know if the name of the Hens are the same in English, but I will try to find that out... :?

poppies

feather legs
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 14:45 »
Quote from: "too many girls"
is there any paticular reason why we should keep their feet clean? ie hygine,

I just thought they might get a bit matted - their not show birds or any thing just my pets
I think I will put them in  large pen with straw, they have a nice house so they can go inside if they want.

Sorry Catrine I didnt realise you were new welcome

violet

• Experienced Member
feather legs
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 14:54 »
I also have feathery legged girls, two white and two lavender pekins... In reality they are 4 grubby, muddy scruffy hens... but they seem happy!

poppies

feather legs
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 15:45 »
I want  some lavender pekins they are so beautiful , I have some eggs in the incubator at the moment - hope its not to late

violet

• Experienced Member
feather legs
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 17:28 »
we hatched four pekins a couple of months ago, one is a lavender but I do not know the official colours of the others...two beige and one brown????? must ask the lady who gave me the eggs what the "official" titles are!

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
feather legs
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 17:54 »
My silkies have muddy feathered legs but..hey the cockerel still loves them and so do we so who cares! You could make them some wellies from rubber gloves!! :lol:

If they're not show birds, don't deny them the fun of digging, they just love it! One thought though you could collect lots of leaves, then they could dig away, finding tasty morsels but stay clean!

Judi :wink:

catrine

feather legs
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 18:01 »
I really don´t wash my hens feet, if anyone think that :shock:
It was just something I did when my hens had been out all summer, we have a small farm and they run around free, sometimes they get very muddy and if this gets dry, it can irritate the skin and loose the feathers on their feets.
The same thing is it with small chickens, they will easy get a lump of dirt on their feets and this can cause problems with their toas.
I have my hens and cocks just for fun and as a hobby, but still they need to be cleaned at times... :roll:

poppies

feather legs
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 18:51 »
Hi thanks for all your suggestions I think I will just let them stay as they are and put straw down if it gets too muddy- which I do for the other's anyway - and to stop me going up on my back in it :

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
feather legs
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2008, 19:58 »
Hi poppies. I have Pekins too. Great birds, really friendly.

Mine get covered in mud an then go into the house and come out clean ready for the next mud bath. I really don't worry about them.
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

xx
Hen off her legs

Started by chrisdobb on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post June 24, 2009, 19:06
by Boxfanman
xx
Hen legs

Started by cudders on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 05, 2007, 23:06
by Aunt Sally
xx
Red colouring on legs

Started by chuckmad on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 01, 2010, 16:10
by Casey76
xx
Hen with stiff legs

Started by pammie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 16, 2013, 09:15
by pammie

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 38 queries.