I know the answer to this but......

• 5 Replies

Prod

I know the answer to this but......
« on: November 15, 2013, 16:29 »
I made a post earlier this year regarding some pullets that I had to dispatch.  I had 3 x 2 day old Cream Legbars, 2 x 4 week old Exchequer Leghorns and 3 x 12 week old Cotswold Legbars.  They were all quarantined in their individual groups and kept separate from my main flock.  When the Cream Legbars were about 10 weeks old I put all 3 groups together but still separated from my flock.  Unfortunately they got infectious sinusitis and despite treatment  they either died one by one or I had to cull them.

Only one of the Ex Leghorns survived but she is way too small for her age, at 10mths old she is tiny and her comb/wattles have not developed.  Rather than walk as normal chickens do her legs are very stiff and she 'plods' and has balance problems. She eats and drinks ok but her droppings are never solid and, like today, just an olive green oozey liquid. She is very tame, whenever I am near she comes to me and follows me around or lets me pick her up.  None of the other birds tolerate her so she is always on her own. She cant fly  but 'hops' if she is attacked and often just stands on her own wither eyes shut.   I have grown very attached to her because of her dependence on me   but I know she has something wrong and will never lay..   Should I keep  her or........???

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: I know the answer to this but......
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 16:49 »
Or....

Sorry Prod, I know you are fond of her, but chickens don't show when they are in pain, and it doesn't sound good for her.  You don't know what is going on inside her and she could be in a lot of pain.

It's cruel to keep her going in my opinion.  That may sound harsh, and even though we have had chickens here up to 500 at a time, I would still try to help a poorly chicken, but there is a time to say enough is enough.

:( :( :(

Prod

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 14:11 »
Well, as I said in the post title, I knew the answer and was gearing myself up to do the deed today  but nature took it's course & I found her dead on the coop floor this morning..... :(  I have checked all my other birds and they seem fine  I have 3 separate groups in quarantine anyway   so it was only my mixed flock  but I checked them all anyway........ wish I wasn't so soft :wub: :wub:

grinling

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 20:28 »
you are not soft and sometimes it is nice when nature does something you don't.
I dispatched Speckles, the last of the originals and was 8yrs old, the other week. I had put it off & was going to call BIL, but did it myself. Hard choice.

Prod

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 21:03 »
Thanks..........

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 22:31 »
It's never an easy thing to do Prod.  I always hate having to cull a bird or a chick, but these things have to be done.

Pleased nature did the job for you though!

xx
I probably know the answer, but ...

Started by Pertelotte on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 21, 2011, 07:48
by joyfull
xx
Please does anyone have an answer?

Started by general greivous on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 03, 2008, 13:46
by Tina&Tony
xx
does broody hen know the answer?

Started by Mrs Taylor on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 01, 2009, 13:17
by snowflake
xx
Is prison the answer?

Started by Kathie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post August 10, 2010, 12:22
by Kathie

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 29 queries.