help identifying mystery fruit/berry

• 12 Replies

suedenim

help identifying mystery fruit/berry
« on: May 06, 2012, 23:17 »
HI everyone

I have taken over a half plot which has been abandoned for 2 years. Can you help me identify this plant please? There are several in containers along side the raspberry canes, so I am assuming it is some sort of berry.

Could anyone give me some advice on identifying it, and how to care and cultivate it please?

Many Thanks

Sue
IMG_1678.jpg

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: help identifying mystery fruit/berry
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 23:23 »
Looks like a blueberry to me, and a very neglected one to boot, although clearly still alive!

Bearing in mind that they are quite shallow rooted get rid of the weeds, feed with an ericaceous fertiliser, and see what happens (especially if my ID turns out to be wrong!)

Now is not the time to be trying to tidy them up or repotting, but both should be considered when they become dormant again.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 01:26 »
Hmmm, doesn't look like any of my blueberries. There seems to be thorns on the stems.

any chance of a closer picture?

Gwiz

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 05:42 »
Very difficult to tell from the picture, It looks like a gooseberry. Can you get a better photo?

ian.ford

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 09:37 »
I think Willy Wonka had these. It's a SNOZZBERRY

JohnB47

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 11:25 »
I agree with JayG - pretty sure it's ablueberry. And yes it looks a bit behind - mine have had loads of blossom for weeks now, so this one should have some too. Although varieties can probably differ.

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 11:32 »
Can I throw in another possibility - perhaps a jostaberry , which is a cross between a blackcurrant and gooseberry. I don't have one myself although I am keen to get one (need to find somewhere to shoehorn one in first! ). So I don't know if they are thorned or not.

VegGirl7

• Experienced Member
    • allotmentforaginghomebrewadventures
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 12:48 »
Can I throw in another possibility - perhaps a jostaberry , which is a cross between a blackcurrant and gooseberry. I don't have one myself although I am keen to get one (need to find somewhere to shoehorn one in first! ). So I don't know if they are thorned or not.

pretty sure I have a jostabery on my plot and it doesn't look look this (the leaves look like blackcurrant without the 'curranty' smell and no thorns).  If it is I'll be offering cuttings from it when later in the year when it goes dormant  :D

I was going to say the leave look like my blueberry but there seems to be thorny branches in the pic - is there another plant in the picture too?  :unsure:

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 12:49 »
Looks like a blueberry to me. Blueberries often have die-back on small twigs which can look similar to thorns.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 12:51 by realfood »

Bing

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 15:28 »
blueberry has orange-ish leaves.

if their flowers look like these, then they are definately blueberry plants

Rain at night, sunshine all day long!

suedenim

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 19:08 »
Thanks everyone :D

Rain stopped play today, so I've not had a chance to take a better picture, but I don't recall any thorns (just die back) and the flowers do look similar to those posted.

I think the yellowing leaves is due to the fact that the poor things have been neglected. The one bush that's in the ground is choked with docks and course grass and those that have been left in containers are so pot bound I can't get them out or even move them.

Assuming that they are blueberries, How do I revive them? I'm not bothered about cropping this year, I just want to get them healthy if possible

Cheers

Sue

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 19:13 »
Rake way the weeds and grass from around the base of the stem, and add a  good dose of slow release azalea food, which will keep it going for a while. (echoing JayG here  8) )

Cut out any completely dead branches (scrape the bark with your nail if unsure --- green = alive)

Make sure it gets enough water in any dry spells, and if any fruit does set, cover it with a net unless you want to give it to the local  blackbird  :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 09:18 »
Sunny's right about the dead stems. they will probably be grey and very brittle and can be removed - blueberries aren't usually pruned at the size yours are and you have to be careful because they fruit on old wood.

A good RHS article HERE about blueberry care in general, although it doesn't mention blueberry-obsessed blackbirds which Sunny is definitely also dead right about!  :ohmy:   :)

xx
Help identifying fruit (pics inside)

Started by Rowan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 15, 2009, 22:18
by 8doubles
clip
Mystery fruit tree

Started by Potty Plotty Lotty on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 20, 2021, 15:48
by Potty Plotty Lotty
xx
Mystery fruit bush

Started by LottyLouis on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 09, 2015, 12:46
by allotmentann
question
Goji Berry

Started by iggyboy60 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 14, 2011, 22:28
by hightide

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 39 queries.