Chutney making - which pan?

• 12 Replies

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« on: September 01, 2008, 11:03 »
Hi everyone

Seems like we are all busy cooking up some chutney and I have read that you should be very careful about the type of pans you use as the metal taste can transfer to chutney (something to do with the vinegar etc) I never was very good at Science  :oops:

So, last year when I made it for the first time I am sure I used one of my very large stock/stew pans which has teflon coating. Chutney tasted great so I was planning to use it again this year.

Only trouble is I can't actually remember what pan I did in fact use and the niggling doubts have started (must be an age thing).

Can anyone confirm Teflon coated pans are OK to use please, just so I don't waste all those lovely Toms I have rescued from the Blight.

Cheers
M.
I Came.....I Saw......I Composted

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 11:16 »
Use only pans, which are not affected by the acid in the vinegar. Stainless steel or enamelled pans are good, but chipped pan or unlined brass or copper pans may react with the acid, for example by forming traces of copper acetate, a poisonous salt.

This is from the-tree.org.uk, I used a huge stainless steal pan and that was perfect :D

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 12:23 »
Quote from: "Beetroot queen"
Use only pans, which are not affected by the acid in the vinegar. Stainless steel or enamelled pans are good, but chipped pan or unlined brass or copper pans may react with the acid, for example by forming traces of copper acetate, a poisonous salt.

This is from the-tree.org.uk, I used a huge stainless steal pan and that was perfect :D

Yep, got that ta.........but is Teflon coated pan OK?????

Beetroot queen

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 13:43 »
Quote from: "Maryann"
Quote from: "Beetroot queen"

Yep, got that ta.........but is Teflon coated pan OK?????

Not sure if you have one of the others listed as okay I would use that to be on the safe side, no point in waisting all that lovely harvest  :)

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 13:52 »
Sadly no......so will have to go out and buy one. Think I'll get me one of those big preserving pans as we seem to be doing more and more of this sort of thing.

I had one many years ago which I shared with my Mum for jam making but it got neglected and in the end I used it for boiling up my dishcloths etc.

I think I must be one of the few woman left who still like to boil up cloths  :roll: My daughter and daughter in law think I'm mad - they just throw them out and buy new ones! I do hate waste.

Thanks for reply, will go in search of a good pan.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 13:54 »
Quote from: "Maryann"
Sadly no......so will have to go out and buy one. Think I'll get me one of those big preserving pans as we seem to be doing more and more of this sort of thing.

I had one many years ago which I shared with my Mum for jam making but it got neglected and in the end I used it for boiling up my dishcloths etc.

I think I must be one of the few woman left who still like to boil up cloths  :roll: My daughter and daughter in law think I'm mad - they just throw them out and buy new ones! I do hate waste.

Thanks for reply, will go in search of a good pan.

I always say I am the last person on earth who irons tea towels LOL and its nothing to do with age as I am only in my early 30s  :lol:

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 14:05 »
Oh, can I adopt you please????

I also iron tea towels and duvets and sheets....all of which those girls of mine (also in their 30's) throw into tumble dryer  :evil:

Mind you, when I am decorating or working and get behind with the ironing I have a lovely elderly friend who irons all my hubby's shirts for me (she does some ironing for extra income Bless her). I only hope I am as fit and able as her when I reach 70! She saves up her cash and goes on fantastic holidays every year or so to visit family in Canada.

Sorry...have wandered off topic  :)

Poolfield2

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 18:23 »
I like it when topics "develop" it's like a proper conversation :)

I am also in the ironing the duvet covers and teatowel brigade and HAVE TO HAVE AN IRONED PILLOWCASE. If I don't iron things everyone knows I'm scarily busy :lol:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 18:27 »
bedding is never the same unless its ironed, I lay in bed a few months ago at 11.45 at night and decided I could feel crumbs so ..........

I made hubby get out so I could change the bedding :lol:

Sharon

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 19:17 »
I boil cloths and wash dusters.  I have dusters that are more than 10 years old.
I also always air dry my washing. Either outside or on airers placed near an open window if it's raining.

wighty

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 21:29 »
When I'm rich I'm having fresh bedding every day as I love the smell of fresh linen to clilmb into.   Need somebody to change it every day though as I cant't be bothered,

Poolfield2

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 23:11 »
Trying to dry washing at the moment is driving me dippy (or drippy) I've had some haging on an airer in bathroom with window open for more than 24 hours and it's not dry yet. So cold tonight I lit a woodburner so now will be able to dry washing infront of fire like I do in the middle of winter :evil:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 09:27 »
Quote from: "Poolfield2"
Trying to dry washing at the moment is driving me dippy (or drippy) I've had some haging on an airer in bathroom with window open for more than 24 hours and it's not dry yet. So cold tonight I lit a woodburner so now will be able to dry washing infront of fire like I do in the middle of winter :evil:

Mine was out on the line all day yesterday and it was blowing a gale and it still didnt dry  :roll:

xx
Making chutney

Started by bobpark on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post January 08, 2017, 20:46
by New shoot
xx
Sometime soon I'll have to stop making chutney

Started by noshed on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

36 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 20:00
by sunshineband
xx
First time making chutney.....

Started by marispiper on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 21:36
by marispiper
xx
What Chutney & Preserves are you making?

Started by amandaandherveg on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post November 25, 2008, 22:12
by Beetroot queen

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 36 queries.