benefits of pea shingle

• 17 Replies

cammi

• Experienced Member
Re: benefits of pea shingle
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 20:40 »
Ive been thinking of doing pea shingle/gravel as i live on a housing estate really need to keep a grip of witht the smell and also the ground is likely to get muddy.  But if i shingled it all they then would have any grass to eat.  (Due to cats and Kids i dont think my girls will be able to get out much maybe once a week) Is it possible to grow trays of grass for them ( was thinking those big trays you put under grow bags)  and keep swapping for a new tray?

Also keep reading about putting lime down, how often so you need to do this?  My thinking being maybe raking all the shingle into a pile and hosing it through and limeing the soil before raking the cleaned shingle back over.  Any good as an idea?? 
11 Chickens (Rhode Rock, Bluebell, Copper Black, Columbine, Coucou, Mystery Hen, Clarance Court, Araucana, brown hen ) , 3 Cats (1 mog, 1 bengal, 1 Bengal x),  2 Little Boys, 1 dog (Golden Retriever) and 1 Husband

jinty1911

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 21:15 »
I stay in an estate too and as long as you keep on top of it, there is no problem.  Mine free range round the garden every day and I poo pick every day (it only takes a few minutes) with big dustpan and brush.  In spring I will have to curtail their roaming as granddaughters will be round more and I dont want them playing in chick poop  :nowink:  I can already hear the squauks of protest.  :ohmy: 

Abacus

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 01:23 »
I would not put the weed fabric down it can be ripped, I put my pea shingle on polythene and put holes into it for the water to drain away

I let my girls out of their run for the first time since way before winter - they immediately found my newly covered gooseberry beds with stones/weed fabric and by the time I got back they had shifted all the stones from the corners, pulled the fabric back and were busy digging for insects...
TTFN Jim
House Husband (Certified)
! Barnvelder Cockerel
1 Welsummer
1 Welsummer mix
1 Salmon Favorella
4 Rhodie Hybrids

xx
PEA SHINGLE

Started by feathered friends on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 11:38
by feathered friends
question
Chickens on shingle

Started by slikk on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 26, 2011, 21:00
by slikk
smiley
floor of run - shingle?

Started by feathered friends on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 01, 2012, 12:41
by feathered friends
xx
woodchip/bark Vs 'pea shingle'

Started by cammi on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 20:25
by ManicMum

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 38 queries.