Do I have a screw loose?

• 4 Replies

Oliveview

Do I have a screw loose?
« on: February 17, 2014, 19:15 »
We are now fostering (def. not adopting) a puppy from the refuge, called Tano.  Do not ask me what type of breed he is, nobody has a clue!!!  All we know is he will be on the big side.  He has had a prolapsed anus, but after treatment it has stayed in (fingers crossed)  He has tinned meat, mixed veg and pasta twice a day, no dog biscuits- he is not to get constipated.   I hope he can get another home soon, he is good, but too big for our home with the other 5 dogs (Charlie is a big Lab) 
About 3 weeks ago we ´rescued´ a white Galgo (the Spanish hunting dog, like a greyhound)  The hunting with dogs season is over, so in Spain around 30,000 galgo are abandined every year, it is a terrible problem.  The Galgo, named Nieve, Spanish for snow, went to stay at another refuge, a lady in the UK was sponsoring her.,  It was discovered she has Leishmania, so the refuge said they did not want her there, they could not be bothered with doing her treatment I think.  They were happy to take the money though!! 
We went to collect her this morning, and we took her to the vet who diagnosed Tibet and he did another blood test, a full blood count, her kidneys etc are perfect, she is very anaemic (not sure on the spelling) and at least 5kg underweight.  So now she is sleeping on our garage and wearing a very snazzy light brownish coat with a pink snood!!  As soon as she is able,  she is off to Birmingham Greyhound Rescue to be fostered. She has 30 days of injections and tablets (for gout!!) for life.  Luckily they are very cheap!!  Tibets are 3€ for 50 days, Nieves will be a bit more as she is bigger.  I took her for a walk this afternoon, she is perfect on the lead, our dogs have a lot to learn from her.  She ignored the dogs that barked at her, at one time 3 small dogs chased us, I waved a stick and threw a stone (no worrys, I am a terrible shot, but they did not know that) and they left us alone.  Further along the road 3 big dogs were barking from under a gate, I had to carry Nieve past, she was scared!! 
She has to have ´good´ dog food, a lady from South Africa would you believe, is sending food, from the UK, not SA! I do not know what type it is.  Today Nieve had our dog food with some cooked liver (for building her up)   I am going to boil one of our chickens that were in the freezer for tomorrow.  She will put on weight.  I think she was even skinnier than when she went to the other  refuge!
I amoff to find the screw I have lost now!!

Pamela 

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Do I have a screw loose?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 19:30 »
No Pamela, you are just a very caring lady who hates to see animals suffer! XXX

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 05:45 »
well done for caring  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Oliveview

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 11:54 »
I am not caring for Tano the pup.  He is about 5 months old, a big pup.  Yesterday he chewed my croc sandles (nice smart ones, new, a present) today he chewed a cushion, he has ripped the plastic cover off the outside table, he plagues the life out of poor Mili cat.  I have told the refuge we cannot keep him for much longer.  I want Mili to be safe and not spend all her time on the track outside our garden or up the tree.   
If he were ´my´ puppy I would put up with the damage, but he aint my puppy!!! 
We were told the previous time we would have him here for 2 weeks maximum (it was 3) then he went to another home, where the father did not want him.   I know what will happen- 6 months down the line we will still have him here and a wrecked house!!
At the moment he is curled up asleep on my armchair, as if butter would not melt in his mouth :tongue2:
I know he is just being a puppy, but I did say he could only stay if he did not chase Mili or Miki. He is  a sweetheart really, but not my forever dog!!!  I know what will happen-  he will get ´forgotten´ and left here!!

Pamela

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 10:56 »
aww can you not crate train him? This would give your cat a break and also help stop the chewing.

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 29 queries.