Ideas for hen friendly ground cover?

• 10 Replies

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
Ideas for hen friendly ground cover?
« on: September 24, 2009, 19:17 »
In our ignorance we layed a lovely bit of turf for our new girls in their larger enclosure. Well needless to say it didn't last long but much fun and chomping was enjoyed by all four ladies. Now it's just a scratched up patch of soil. Any well proven ideas for a good over Winter subsitute would be very welcome. Maybe tree bark, but if so any special kind, as in any types to avoid as it might be harmful? They do love a bit of straw but this is going to get soggy during the long damp Winter.

Jan.

tode

Re: Ideas for hen friendly ground cover?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 19:25 »
Imo the most important is that the floor is well drained, with provision for run-off of heavy rain. 
As you've seen, grass doesn't last long  :lol:  but looks good while it lasts.

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 19:41 »
Most of my chickens still have grass, but they have very large areas.
A friend of mine with a smaller space uses bark chippings, her pen is covered and she changes it every six months, hosing it down every two weeks.

Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

oborne27

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 19:43 »
Hi,
Our 3 bantams have bark and a paving slab area (where the food and water is kept - it makes the food area easy to clean).
The best bark that we have found is a small chip, with little wood in it. The one we use is Homebase own. It comes in 60lt bags and is usually on some ort of an offer. The other one that we have had some good success with is J. Arthur Bowers Play Bark.

I have heard that rubber chips are good but haven't tried them.

I hope this helps

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 19:45 »
Thank you 'Tode' I'll remember that as it's important with the amount of rain we get here. Will talk over with the digger in the family and ask him to possibly make the patch higher at its centre giving more run off for water. I hate muddy pools as the girls are attracted to them like moths to a flame. Even seem to eat their fair share of soil too but maybe that's normal for hens. Oh yes the poor grass didn't last long at all and a lesson learned  :)

Jan.

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 19:57 »
Thank you Michelle and Osborne27 and whoops I was typing when your replies came in  :)

Osborne27, I'll get some of that bark then as it sounds ideal. I imagine very good for attracting crawlies too which the girls love to eat. Thank you too for the tip about rubber bark as every idea that keeps the girls safe and happy is so welcome  :)

Michelle, again the tree bark sounds fab and an idea of how often to change it and clean it helps so much when new to keeping hens. It the tips that seem obvious, but aren't always, which are as important as any information we gather and thank you  :) I imagine too that the grass would have a chance of regrowth in a larger area but with our greedy little girls it doesn't stand much chance even though their outer pen is fairly large. Also taken up by coop, dust bathing room etc  :)

Jan.

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 19:58 »
My run is under two big laurel trees so gets some protection from the rain but it is a mix of soil, large gravel and bark chippings! It never smells (i do lime every 6 months and sprinkle stalosan f down once a month to keep it sweet), doesn't get water logged and the girls love scratching around in it! in fact since adding more bark etc, Roastie my long suffering feather pecker no longer needs her beak ring as she spends so much time scratching around for her food she never gets bored!  :lol:

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 20:24 »
Debbie that sounds like a fantastic mix of cover and anything that keeps them happily scratching away has to be good. I will definately add lime and Stalosan f to the shopping list too as our girls certainly produce copious amounts of poop. Sometimes I feel as if I'm scooping all day, be doing it in my dreams soon. :tongue2:  :)

Jan.

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 20:36 »
I never have to poo pick either as the girls (7 of them) are like mini rotivators! and turn it all over for me! When i lime (get it from garden centres) i shut the girls in the house or let them free range in the garden, rake back all the bark chips and sprinkle the lime on the soil/gravel. i then rake the bark chips back over and hose over thoroughly, leave to dry then let the girls back in the run. :D

Debbie

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 20:46 »
Thanks again Debbie  :) I'm jotting all this down in word (knowing that I might mislay it otherwise) I'd lose my head if it wasn't screwed on lol.  I've been googling for stalosan f and it seems like a mail order job although we do have a huge farm suppliers not far away I might ask if they'll order it in for us.

Jan.

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 21:41 »
Thanks again Debbie  :) I'm jotting all this down in word (knowing that I might mislay it otherwise) I'd lose my head if it wasn't screwed on lol.  I've been googling for stalosan f and it seems like a mail order job although we do have a huge farm suppliers not far away I might ask if they'll order it in for us.

Jan.

I got my stalosan from my tiny feed/pet shop it is a huge tub (about the size of a big ice cream tub!) and it cost about £15 but it will last for ages and ages!  :D

Debbie

xx
ground cover for fixed run

Started by benson_moomoo on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 14, 2009, 13:25
by grumpydad
sad
ground cover for fixed run

Started by benson_moomoo on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post November 16, 2009, 12:32
by chooksbury
xx
Ground cover in fixed run

Started by Bonniebean on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post October 30, 2009, 15:01
by grumpydad
xx
Friendly Geese

Started by slowef on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 10, 2007, 08:42
by slowef

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 36 queries.