fermented vegtables

• 5 Replies

MoreWhisky

fermented vegtables
« on: April 17, 2012, 09:39 »
I listened to a very intresting program yesterday on fermenting vegtables on radio 4.  It got my intrest going not just for the health views but also as another way to store our crops, and its a bit of a lost craft.

Basically what they said do was cut up any veg add salt and bash until it releases its water, then cram in jar until its full and covered in its own juices. Leave and eat when u like

I'm going to start some tonight, so anyone out there who can give a beginner tips? Is there any veg that doesn't work well with this treatment? It was also said longer you leave it stronger it gets, so is there a max time you should eat it by?

I'm hoping its going to taste. Nice to.

Cheers MW.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

MoreWhisky

Re: fermented vegtables
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 09:59 »
Are you saying you don't lke the taste mum?Ive never tried it best not make to much then.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 10:52 »
no,  I'm not keen but some Europeans love the stuff  ;)

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 16:11 »
More and more people are making sauerkraut as it retains the nutrients, probiotics and is good for stomach troubles. When done, I put mine in (canning) bottling jars hot and water bath them for about 10 minutes and they'll stay on the shelf for years if need be.

Dill pickles are also a fermented vegetable - you make a salt brine and leave the pickles for a specific time. When done, we warm up the brine (not boiling) and add it and pickles to warmed store type jars. The little seal ring inside will reseal due to the warmth. Pickles can be kept in big crocks but I find it a real pain to regularly skim off mold.

If you've never had sauerkraut, I suggest you try some first. Kraut is made with both salt and vinegar, and most industry made krauts contain vinegar as a preservative for shelf life. I personally find vinegar added krauts very sour and hard on my stomach. If you  know someone who makes their own with just salt, ask to try some and see if it's to your taste.

This video (best I've seen) makes a lot of kraut, and you can reduce the quantity. Definitely make sure you adjust the salt to weight - you need only very little salt to get the process going, otherwise you end up feeling like you swallowed the Dead Sea.

-WfPigCqKnIfeature=related

MoreWhisky

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 20:51 »
Thats a good video thanks Trillium.

xx
marmalade fermented

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post June 07, 2012, 23:15
by chrissie B
xx
Fermented sausage

Started by Swing Swang on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post February 04, 2015, 20:05
by Snoop
clip
Recipe : Fermented Garlic

Started by DanielCoffey on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post March 30, 2020, 10:29
by DanielCoffey

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 29 queries.