Growing chillies

• 5 Replies

LILLILEAF

Growing chillies
« on: January 22, 2023, 15:33 »
I am having ago at chillies, helping a friend a bit of a challenge,i have reaper and chocolate bhutlar.
I don't like chillies its just a bit of fun, i shall be growing in the greenhouse and they will be growing in there house as they have no garden.
 Any one else growing plants for a friend?.
These 2 types i understand are very very hot :ohmy:.

Odders

Re: Growing chillies
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 21:11 »
I grew cayenne's last year for use in salsa fresca with very varied results, some fairly hot, some not at all but always a decent pepper taste, like that of a bell pepper only stronger.
This year, I'm going with jalapenos. Intend to have two in the small greenhouse & six more in the polytunnel (once it's up...).
I'll be growing bell peppers in both places too, as all peppers do poorly in cool weather & West Cumbria isn't known for it's blazing hot summer weather...

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 09:54 »
Rocotos and locotos do better in a uk climate than most other hot peppers, they are worth a go outside. I grew a couple of them in my allotment beds and in pots on the patio. Real seeds sell locoto seeds if you ever want to try them

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 10:25 »
Rocotos and locotos do better in a uk climate than most other hot peppers, they are worth a go outside. I grew a couple of them in my allotment beds and in pots on the patio. Real seeds sell locoto seeds if you ever want to try them

Thanks for that info Snow.  I have locoto seeds saved from my own crop so I will give them a go outside this year  :)

Debz

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2023, 10:28 »
I grew three plants in the greenhouse and ended up with far more chillis than I'll ever use.  Thankfully the greenhouse is at the plot and there are friends there that will eat them far quicker than me and are happy to take my surplus. :D

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2023, 20:38 »

Thanks for that info Snow.  I have locoto seeds saved from my own crop so I will give them a go outside this year  :)

They do need a long season still so start them ASAP.  But they are fine with night time temps of about 8c which is good for us. And overwinter better than most chillis, they can supposedly live for 15 years

xx
Help on growing chillies

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post February 05, 2012, 23:00
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Chillies growing well!!But?

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 01, 2010, 11:30
by NigelB
xx
Growing chillies - advice please!

Started by cheshirecheese on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 00:24
by viettaclark
question
Newbie on growing chillies!!

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 12, 2010, 14:28
by stentman

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 46 queries.