Attacked hen update - please help

• 4 Replies

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
Attacked hen update - please help
« on: November 07, 2010, 08:24 »
Further to my other thread, Skinny Leghorn made it through the night. She still looks shell-shocked. I tried to give her some water from a pipette, but she absolutely freaked out, started rosey, struggled free and went running around the house. I think that's a good sign. :)

But she feels very hot. I don't know whether that's because of the attack or because she spend the night in a (relatively) warm house. I offered her some mealworms and some water in a dish, but she's not interested.

I'm not sure what to do. She has hardly any feathers left, so I don't know whether she'll be warm enough outside. Do you think she'd be OK in a little broody coop inside a stable? Should I give her aspirin, and if so, how much? Anything else I can do for her?

heatherhsp

Re: Attacked hen update - please help
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 09:50 »
Oh no!  I'm sorry  :(
Sounds like your girl is in a bad way like my Bella.  If you look at my thread, someone gave some really practical advice there.   Hope she improves today....fingers crossed.

orchardlady

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 09:54 »
I think that inside a coop inside a stable will probably be a better environment than the house. Being up and  around is certainly a positive sign. Maybe make up some porridge with water and make it 'extra' wet. Put some in a bowl wear she can see (along with a separate bowl of water) it and get to it if she wants and then try to leave her alone as much as possible.

I have given a junior Asprin in the past...although I don't think they are called that any more a pharmacist would understand what you are talking about.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 11:26 »
Thanks for replies.

I put her in the broody coop in the stable, and she has eaten some mixed corn and drank quite a lot of water.

She was making a really strange noise - sort of halfway between a cough and a sneeze, but I think she might have been trying to call the other hens.

I'll try the porridge thing later.

NormandyMary

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 15:44 »
Fingers crossed for you little girl VV.

xx
Chick attacked by rat - Update plus pic

Started by kegs on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 31, 2011, 13:44
by kegs
xx
Update on Chicken attacked by fox

Started by JMF on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post June 10, 2012, 16:30
by JMF
xx
attacked hen

Started by scott bell on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 22:52
by scott bell
xx
Attacked by a rat????

Started by RosieMay on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 20:19
by RosieMay

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 38 queries.