Dotty has hatched some turkey eggs

• 139 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Dotty has hatched some turkey eggs
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2012, 17:15 »
Not wishing to be pedantic if that's the right word, but they are poults, not chicks   ;) :)

Can't wait to let ours out when they are a bit older.  Good job the weather is nice, as turkey poults need to be kept warmer than chicks when they are little.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2012, 17:26 »
Thanks for the correction GA, in my defense I did say it was my first time for raising turkeys.  :blink:

Yes it was too hot for me, even sat under the sun brollie.  I have a 6' x 4' shed ready for them on colder days.  Will be picking up a heat lamp tomorrow as Dotty will be too small to keep them warm in a couple of weeks.

How long do you recommend them to be kept under heat/broody.  I have read 8 weeks but will bow to your first hand knowledge.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2012, 22:13 »
At this time of the year, as long as the weather is nice, we will try them out at 4-5 weeks, but if it was during the winter, then we'd wait until 6-7.

Saying that, some are kept indoors all their lives!  Poor things.

Take the heat off during the day at 4 weeks, but if the evenings are cool, put it on overnight for another couple of weeks.  They will tell you if they are too cold, they will crowd together under the centre of the lamp, but if too warm, you will find them in the corners of the shed.

Talking about corners, poults can get frightened quite easily and if spooked will run to the corners and if they all run to the same corner, they can ry to pile on top of each other and suffocate the one on the bottom.  

As you only have a few, that is less likely than when we had 150 of them!  :ohmy: but its a good idea to round off the corners a bit.  We use hardboard screwed into the walls of the shed, so that if they do get spooked, there is not 'corner' to run into.

It's different for you having Dotty help raise them, but when we've had a lot of poults, they had a BIG brooder ring and gas heating.
Turkey poults.jpg
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 22:19 by GrannieAnnie »

ANHBUC

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2012, 23:12 »
What a great set up.  Bet it didn't stay clean very long!  :unsure:

I have some lino type flooring that I can use as a brooder ring but as you say with just 2 they should be alright.  Thanks for the advice Oh knowledgeable one.   :D

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2012, 23:19 »
lol, only knowledgeable because I've been there, done it and they pooped on the T shirt!!   :lol: :lol:

ANHBUC

« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2012, 23:23 »
The size of the poos when they get bigger is something I am not looking forward to!   :blink:  and of course the smell that goes with it.    :wacko:

agapanthus

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2012, 23:27 »
Awww....they are really beautiful!! ( Especially loving the white one)  :D :D :D :D

agapanthus

« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2012, 23:29 »
The size of the poos when they get bigger is something I am not looking forward to!   :blink:  and of course the smell that goes with it.    :wacko:

They can be a bit stinky!!!

ANHBUC

« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2012, 23:50 »
Awww....they are really beautiful!! ( Especially loving the white one)  :D :D :D :D

Bootsy is the colour of a little lemon duckling, just looks white on the photos.  Still a mystery what breed it is even its neck and legs don't seem as long as the Snudge the little bronze poult (see I was paying attention GrannieAnnie do I get a gold star?)   :lol:

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2012, 00:09 »
Awww....they are really beautiful!! ( Especially loving the white one)  :D :D :D :D

Bootsy is the colour of a little lemon duckling, just looks white on the photos.  Still a mystery what breed it is even its neck and legs don't seem as long as the Snudge the little bronze poult (see I was paying attention GrannieAnnie do I get a gold star?)   :lol:

Of course!

http://www.jms101.btinternet.co.uk/basic_sets/gold/star_subtle_lrg/cool.gif

Well that didn't work!   :(

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 00:16 by GrannieAnnie »

ANHBUC

« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2012, 13:12 »
 :D  I can see it if I click on the link, thank you.   :D

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2012, 13:40 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

ANHBUC

« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2012, 15:46 »
Have got the shed set up with the heat lamp ready for chilly times.  Just finished putting Dotty, Bootsy and Snudge in their new accommodation and the heavens have opened. 

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2012, 16:35 »
Awww hope they grow well for you ANHBUC!

Will you be okay do the 'deed' when its time do you think?  turkeys can grow on you.

They may look stupid, but they are very intelligent birds.

ANHBUC

« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2012, 17:25 »
I think I should be ok, I had to cull 2 cockerels this morning after they started to crow at 5.45am.  I had tried bringing their brothers indoors overnight which worked but the smell was unbearable.  So have them hanging in a covered laundry basket with ice packs in the base in the Garage.  Will be dressing them in a couple of days and looking up a recipe for Chicken Casserole with white wine that I haven't done in years. 

I will have to invest in the wall mounted dispatcher but will wait a little longer until they are off heat.  Of course if I can find someone else to cull and dress them locally I would be daft not to pass the buck!   ::) :lol:

xx
turkey eggs- how often does your turkey lay eggs?

Started by Oliveview on Chicken Chat

14 Replies
Last post March 20, 2011, 15:52
by massa
xx
Home-hatched copper-blue Marans eggs

Started by Casey76 on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post May 06, 2012, 18:13
by PaulineM
clip
What to do about Dotty

Started by Ema on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post May 26, 2020, 21:42
by grinling
xx
Dotty's first chicks

Started by ANHBUC on Chicken Chat

20 Replies
Last post May 23, 2012, 09:57
by j00les

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 35 queries.