Did a mock exam today...

• 5 Replies

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Did a mock exam today...
« on: June 07, 2011, 23:14 »
So, I've been going to the Intermediate Beekeeping course run by our local beekeeping association for the last 7 weeks.  This culminated in someone being picked from a hat to be put through a mock exam so that the assembled learners could know what to expect when it comes to their real assessment.

I only put my name in because there were so few people (only 2 others out of a group of 10) and I didn't expect it would be me that was picked but I was wrong.

The assessment started off alright, got the smoker lit and went to the apiary, smoked around the hive and began to open it.  The bees were a bit tetchy because there was thunder rolling around the clouds and last year in the beginners course we were told not to open the bees in weather like that because they don't like it.

I asked what would normally be protocol if it started to rain during the assessment, expecting him to say that we'd abandon it and have to go back another time, but no! he said that if necessary he'd have an umbrella handy and I'd have to keep going!  The bees were getting more and more aggravated at this time and were noisy and banging into my hands and veil  :ohmy:

It was then that I received my first honeybee sting ever!  I've kept my own collony for a year now without one, but the association's hive that I was working on were really not happy about being opened in a storm at all  :unsure:

WHen the rain began bouncing off the ground he said we should close up the hive and take shelter whilst he asked me the questions for the second half of the assessment in the polytunnel.  I did OK on these but as soon as the rain stopped (it was still thundering though) he made us go back to the hive and open it up again. 

Normally this wouldn't have been a problem, but by now the bees were livid and I got stung again!!  I said to him that I wasn't going to finish the assessment because they were too agressive and that I would never have opened my own hive in those conditions and he tried to make me finish it!  I wasn't the only one being stung either - I'm surprised there wasn't a riot!  ::)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Did a mock exam today...
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 08:44 »
well I think he was quite irresponsible, if under normal circumstances hives aren't opened in those situations then surely it shouldn't have been opened.
I hope somebody had the forthought to take a pen thingy (can't remember what it is called  ::)) should somebody have an allergic reaction to a sting.
Staffies are softer than you think.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 12:04 »
I agree.  At least it was only a mock exam and not the real thing, but even if it was I would still have refused  - all of the books and instructors say that if the hive is agressive just close them up and leave them until they have calmed down for a few days.

I don't know if anyone did have a pen (epipen or something like it I think...?)  but then I don't think that any of our beekeepers are allergic so it's up to each individual to keep a pen if they are - the association isn't allowed to administer them even if they had them :unsure:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 14:37 »
That should have been an automatic pass with flying colours for making the bees welfare your main priority.  Well done.   :D
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

hamstergbert

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 14:50 »
Or perhaps a pass with distinction had you made your assessment of the conditions and judged that with the imminent weather change and consequent effect on the bees' temperament the hive intrusion should be deferred right from the start.

Sometimes even the 'experts' need reminding that sticking to fixed plans and timetables works best for inanimate objects not living things!

Hope your stings have settled down.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 15:52 »
That doesn't sound like much fun at all! Seems very odd to expect you to persist when it was clearly not the right time.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

xx
It's International Cat Day Today

Started by mumofstig on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post August 10, 2017, 11:27
by meriad
clip
Rufus went today

Started by John on Pets without Feathers

12 Replies
Last post February 19, 2024, 18:24
by Yorkie
smiley
Look who I picked up today.

Started by Lardman on Pets without Feathers

49 Replies
Last post February 28, 2013, 20:53
by Dawnuss
xx
three pigs went to slaughter today

Started by SMD66 on Pets without Feathers

11 Replies
Last post November 10, 2009, 07:09
by SMD66

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 38 queries.